Fallen review by Evanescence

• Released: Mar 4, 2003
Evanescence: Fallen

I've had this record since the realease in 2003, it was back then and still is one of my favourite records. The sound of this record is to me so much more than all other female vocalist vs. metal bands, it feel genuine, raw, creative and yet with feelings. The electronic influences are just enough, not too much nor too little. The only weakness in the sound are to me the drums, they are a bit wussy and is what brings my rate down from 10 to 9.

Amy Lee is one of our best female metal singers, she has a high steady level and has the ability to take you to places you've never been to. The quality of the lyrics are very high, knowing that most of them are based on real life experiences makes them even more powerful. They are dark and moody without being too much. I think the music suits the lyrics perfectly, it express every feeling that they are trying to explain in the lyrics.

As I see it, this record was what made this type of music available for the large mass, not saying that Evanescence was the first band doing this but they had that little extra who gave the music the mainstream face it needed. I love all the songs, Going Under being my favourite, except from My Immortal. I've always found it boring and not been able to relate to it. I think they could have chosen to put the later released Breathe No More instead of My Immortal or kept Hello as the only ballad. I have heard so many bands trying to repeat what Evanescence did on Fallen but no one has succeded in my ears. This is a once in a life time record that everyone should listen to!