In The Shadows review by Evanescence

Evanescence: In The Shadows

This album which Evanescence made in 2007 contains most of their songs from previous albums. The Evanescence sound is there but it seems to be lacking in something that makes Evanescence like it is. The electric guitar is not that strong in the songs and towards the end of the album the songs begin to get very acoustic guitar and quite plain. It is more of the old Evanescence than the new and sounds quite different from the open door and fallen. Amy's voice though is still good and strong and the male back up vocals in some of the songs really give it depth.

the lyrics as of evanescence are uaually good and this is no exception. These lyrics have alot of feeling and emotion put into them. There is a lot of meaning in them. the use of beautiful, but striking words really makes the listener hooked onto what is being said. The lyrics go perfectly and smootly with the songs and they really match amy's somewhat petrified and sad voice.

In The Shadows is not one of the best albums but it is quite good. I believe that it is slightly above average. The letdowns tend to be the last four songs which are shallow and not really evanescence like. Some impressive songs in this album include away from me-fantastic verses and chorus with fitting back up vocals in the second verse, however, it doesn't have a great bridge and is lacking some substance toward the end. Surrender: it starts slow then gets to a peak in the chorus, no bridge though and has something missing. It Was All A Lie: great verses with exciting repeats and a reallly good lead up to chorus with a good beat, but when it reaches the chorus it is a bit of a let down. The chorus is strained and a little boring. The best song would be Before The Dawn: Amy's voice makes it sound very haunting and the backup vocals are just amazing. I like the musical bit after the first chorus. Good verses, choruc, music, bridge lyrics. The change of key is not too pleasent for the ear and it is a little too short though. I do not love or hate anything about it, but I like more than I dislike. If it were lost I would not buy it again because it seems to be lacking something and is not so great for me to want to get it again.

KravenWinter
    This person seems to exaggerate the point of it not being great for him...but I too never heard of this album.
    Rokkec
    I just did a quick google search..and yeah, this is a bootleg..nothing official about it..just full of old material..
    victorMan
    Cover artwork is cool, though. I mean, come to think of it, it's quite awesome - i really thought this would be a new album...
    gfreak117
    yeah i was wishing it was a new album too. they need to get to work and release a new cd.
    axeslinger0u812
    These songs weren't from 2007...away from me is from origin, and before the dawn is prior to that. As Is surrender. You said it sounds more like old evanescence...ummm...yeah. It IS old evanescence.
    da.benson8r
    cheaposhredder wrote: fail
    dawoodman619 wrote: i've never heard of this. so there's only three tracks?
    hahahaha
    melissa131
    There are 11 tracks with a bonus my immortal acoustic 1.away from me 2.bleed 3.anything for you 4.forever you 5.before the dawn 6.surrender 7.it was all a lie 8.breathe no more 9.exodus 10.October 11.goodnight It is full of old songs but so are most of the other albums Eg. Evanescence ep, origin and fallen all have my immortal Origin and fallen have imaginary and whisper This album is just a collection of songs not found in the main albums fallen and the open door-sorry for not adding all the stuff and raising hopes The new album comes out December 2009 or early 2010 I think
    axeslinger0u812
    What is "it was all a lie"? It goes by a different name usually, correct? Ps: the first four tracks are awesome, IMHO. For anyone who hasn't heard them but likes fallen, I recommend checking them out. Forever you is one of only two songs, I believe, that John lecompt wrote that was performed by them. The other being all that I'm living for. Good stuff. Surrender's pretty good too.
    FairytaleOfLies
    It's not an official album. In The Shadows is just a fan-made album consisting of a bunch of songs Evanescence produced BEFORE Fallen. Basically they're all demo's