The Open Door review by Evanescence

• Released: Oct 3, 2006
Evanescence: The Open Door

This is definately a different-sounding Evanescence, period. Obvoiusly, the writing process was different this time around with Amy and Terry rather than Amy and Ben. Though I prefer the harder songs and heavier moments on the album, there seems to be too much of a softness on towards the middle of the album (especailly "Like You," my least favorite). Overall, the heavier parts are heavier, and the softer parts are softer.

I do really like the lyrics this time around. Like the many interviews that have been posted around, it's really appearant that she's more liberated with the lyrics on this album. Most of them are pretty blunt, but not so blunt that it's disgusting to listen to. I think that Amy's found the perfect way to say what she wants to say and express what she wants to. Plus, she's an exceptional singer.

Most definately not only one of the most anticipated albums of the year, but surely one of the best. I love the heavy feel to it, and every chorus (save "Like You") is extremely catchy, without being obnoxious. Good music, that's what I like to call it. The only thing I can dislike about this album is that most of the songs are very light in the verse, and heavy in the chorus. It gets a little old, but overall, it can't be something to complain about. Worth the long wait? Maybe. You decide.