The Open Door review by Evanescence

• Released: Oct 3, 2006
Evanescence: The Open Door

Evanescence's newest release, "The Open Door", provides a sound not necessarily different from the old Evanescence, but she still manages to keep it fresh and thank god for that. Amy Lee, Terry Balsamo, John Lecompt, and Rocky Gray are back again, and it's about time. The sound is fresh, original, and damn good. I know I'm probably being a little bias when I say this, but Evanescence has managed to move right backup into the number one spot of the greatest bands to ever play music. The Open Door has provided us with a style within a style; keeping the classic riffs we love oh so very much about them, and mixing it with something new, something different. The sound does get very eerie, very dark, and if modern culture has taught me anything, that's a good thing. The CD seems to mix a lot of classical styles in with the music. They've done that a lot before, but this time is does seem a lot more prominent than others. For example, the song Lacrymosa starts off with a very classical theme, and then manages to work in the Nu Metal sound without altering the feel of the song. It keeps the classical feel of the song, with a new, more modern twist. It is truly amazing, what they've done with it.

As for the lyrics, they do tend to be slightly simplistic at times, but who said that was a bad thing? Sometimes the most complex result comes from the simplest equation. And as the CD progresses, it really provides a very large variety as far as themes go. Evanescence's lyrics have always been very complex, sometimes having more than one meaning or purpose, seeing past the sometimes heartbreaking theme, to something even more meaningful, even more symbolic. For example, "Call Me When You're Sober" is a telling of the classic fairy tale "Little Red Riding Hood," represented by the modern tale of "The Wife-Neglecting Booze-Hound". "The Open Door" has kept that door open, and the flow hasn't died down a bit. However, this does propose a problem. A lot of the lyrics, not seeing towards the symbolism made, can seem rather repetitive, with the same theme occurring more than once. Nay-Sayers will neglect to see past this, and I fear the band will be judged solely on this aspect by many people. As far as vocals go, Amy Lee doesn't slack. Again, giving an amazing performance, as always, she's now stretching out to octaves I hadn't even known she could reach. The variety in her voice is so much more in this album, reaching high, low, and everything in between. And damn, she can definitely carry a note.

Overall, "The Open Door" is phenomenal. The band has come a long way since "Fallen", and even more so, since the times of "Origin" and "Not For your Ears," these 13 new tracks give into a new perspective to the group, and have still managed to maintain what they stood for in the beginning. Stick with the old, and bring in some new. And, I believe, I do believe, "The Open Door" has surpassed "Origin" (which was their highest ranked CD so far, in a biased opinion) as the best Evanescence CD out there. Congrats, Evanescence, you freaking rock.