The Open Door review by Evanescence

• Released: Oct 3, 2006
Evanescence: The Open Door

Evanescence has returned to the top of the charts with the release of a single, "Call Me When You're Sober". The CD, "The Open Door" is a confirmation that the nu-metal genre is, in fact, dying. While the traditional Evanescence sound is still present, the band sounds slightly more experimental, perhaps a direct result of all the personal issues the band has gone through since the unexpected success of their major label debut, "Fallen". 01. Sweet Sacrifice - a promising opening riff, leading into a vocals-driven song. Kind of stuck between an intro track and a full-out song. 02. Call Me When You're Sober - the first single from the CD, and an obvious choice. Vocals intro, catchy riffs, simple chorus. Shades of "Bring Me To Life". Classic Evanescence. 03. Weight Of The World - guitars sounds great on this track, getting to see the heavier side of the band. Great drumming in the last half of the song, as well as some interesting effects. 04. Lithium - piano song, slows down the pace nicely without losing the edge. Amy Lee really shows off her vocal talent on this song. 05. Cloud Nine - starting to see the experimental side of the band here. Starts out with creepy, yet catchy vocals, followed by a heavier guitar riff. Getting to hear some nice lead guitars, then thrown right into a true-to-form chorus. Interesting song. 06. Snow White - another experimental song intro. Song doesn't really build up to anything. Kind of a letdown song. 07. Lacrymosa - intro sound familiar? Didn't we just hear it? Doesn't really help that this song follows Snow White. Recovers with a nice solo about 2 1/2 minutes in. Great outro, like the breakdown. 08. Like You - Finally hearing some guitars in the song intros. Nice vocals in the second half, although I was kind of expecting a little more from this. 09. Lose Control - by now the start of every song is starting to sound the same. Get to hear some crunch in the guitars though. Outro stretched out beyond belief. 10. The Only One - pretty good song, one of my favourites. Nothing over the top, just a lot of emotion coming out of this one. Pretty good end to the song. 11. Your Star - piano start, Amy Lee doing her thing. We get the "My Immortal" feeling until the second verse shows up with guitars, and the song changes pace. Midway through the song, a little piano interlude, guitar fade in and suddenly we're going in yet another direction. A great breakdown about 3 minutes in. My favourite track on the disk. 12. All That I'm Living For - there's the guitar! Love the tone in the intro riff. I really think this song should have just been a straight-ahead rock song. The chorus is phenomenal, the Seether influence coming out. However, this should have been a lot faster and louder than it wound up being. Good song, but could have been great. 13. Good Enough - piano closing song, orchestra background, who doesn't love these songs? Really nice piano, I have a feeling this will be a popular tab. Overall this CD blew me away at the start. The single is obviously catchy, and after five songs I was really thinking this album was going to be phenomenal. It didn't quite reach that mark, and it had ups and downs. Each song had highs and lows, however in the overall scheme of things, it's a pretty good sound. Not quite the same as Fallen, but hey, it's a whole new band. A little more experimental, a little less pop-goth, but still sounds like them as well.

Amy Lee. How else to describe her? You know it's her when she's singing. Powerful voice, and it fits over every instrument used on this disk. Her only problem is she's really only got the one style of singing. It kinda wears on you after a while. Give her credit for trying new things with it, such as her vocal intro in Cloud Nine. Her attempts at variety work well enough to not be wishing she'd just shut up. Her lyrics are well thought-out, and completely full of angst. Can you blame her? Look at what she's gone through since the release of Fallen. In a recent interview with Maxim, Amy Lee said, "I basically lock myself in a dark room and get all depressed. I love writing songs like that." Hey, whatever works for you, Amy.

Is it similar to Fallen? Yes. Is it different than Fallen? Well, yes. It's still Amy Lee, and it's still Evanescence. But at the same time, it doesn't sound like another repeat of the multi-platinum disk. It sounds like a new multi-platinum disk. I love her voice, and I could listen to her all day. Ex-Cold guitarist Terry Balsamo makes a nice addition to the band. Fans of the band will love it, however if you don't like her voice, there isn't a whole lot behind her to listen to.

NemesisX
    I liked it a lot, but the guitar work is nowhere near as good. I preferred the lyrics now, with Moody's guitar.
    thellamaking
    Amy_Lee wrote: Not quite as good as "Origin" but better than "Fallen" in the sense that it doesn't repeat the same tired formula.
    are you kidding me?
    Alijonroth
    A_VII_X_13 wrote: from a musical perspective it sounds great ita ahigh leval of thinking when it comes to key signatures it may sound 'awkward' to un trained people moody is better than terry period everyone knows moody is not cimong back end of story its good otherwise
    i didnt find it so great musically myself,actually it sounded like a screwed up nightwish rip-off! and about the guitarists,its not about whos better,its about who made riffs that blended well with the music,and terry has failed totally in doing that! i remember he left cold cuz he didnt feel the music,i thought he was in for a higher level,turns out i was wrong!!he only thumps shallow and heavy riffs,removing his part wouldnt make much of a difference,the album suck with or without them!
    evil_armada1
    i must agree the album is pretty bad but i think they have got the right idea. they combine things that have never been combined before. my opinion is less effects more heavy riffs and evanescence would have a almost perfect yet new sound.
    Alijonroth
    weak-colourless-pale are the words that came to my mind after listening,this album is a step backwards,even if she has a remarkable voice!
    nikh158
    every song started to sound the same towards the end: Disappointing.
    Walternativo
    terrible album. Fallen was so much better. Only Call me when youre sober is worth listening to. Once. Get your guitarist back.
    Magero
    Patient_Zero wrote: I've heard some of the poptart crap ben moody has released since leaving Evanescence. Say what you will about Amy Lee, she's a much better vocalist and musician than either Avril Levigne or Anastasia. If you have any doubts about Terry Balsamo's talent, listen to the guitar track in the second half of "Your Star", then consider that the guy wrote and recorded that song and the rest of the album less than a year after having a stroke that nearly killed him. I'll grant you that the album could have been mixed better, or at least differently, but overall I thought it was a pretty decent album. Why does every band have to put out an album that is either completely different or completely identical to everything they've done before?
    I think what people are trying to establish is that this album is a repeatitive, boring album with very little inspiration or talent. Amy Lee gets on my nerves after awhile. She seems to feel the need to use her entire vocal range in every sentence she sings. And sure, she may be better than Anastasia or Avril Lavigne, but she's no where near as talented as James LaBrie, Tarja Turunen, or David Draiman even. As for the rest of the instruments, its pretty standard pop-rock. And so what, the guy had a stroke. Chuck Schuldiner was still writing and playing music WHILE he had brain cancer. Evanescence are an OK band in today's mainstream society, but they are not the ****ing renaissance like people make them out to be.
    Patient_Zero
    green_slyme
    I am both a trained musician and an Evanescence fan with a moderate view and I must say that this Open Door album is a huge disappointment for anyone looking for worthwhile music. Those official reviews at the top of this page are misleading because this album's lyrics, songs, riffs, vocals... everything is disappointing. There's no variety and very little musical entertainment to it. It's almost like a bad movie where everything is predictable because it's exactly like what you've seen before in dull work. Pardon me while I wait for a CD from Ben Moody.
    Jondy
    So you're saying you have to be trained to enjoy this cd, and that once you're trained it's supposed to be complex music?
    mya/shmoosh
    if your calling me untrained ill kick your ass
    mya/shmoosh
    if youtr calling me untrained ill kick your ass
    DavidRodrigues
    Im not a fan of Evanescence or Amy Lee, i like overall music,im more into steve vai, children of bodom etc... I think evanescence last album is very good, good lyrics, good songs. The guitar parts are not that complex but fit preety well, music its not all about super guitar parts, its the combination of the instruments that makes "the" song. I think this album has more atmosphere and mature, the band lost his mainstream, maybe call me when your are sober is the catchier one. Some people people maybe expected an heavier album, well they are probably disapointed, but that doesnt make the album bad. Some people like it some other dont. In my opinion its a must have album.
    A_VII_X_13
    Sletvin
    I thought the single Sober sticked a little bit TOO much to the high chords.. made my head ache after 2 mins. Love the artwork though, very nice
    Caza
    i think the album sounds fantastic, but nothing can compare to fallen.
    XgunshyX
    i still will buy their albums even though this one was seriously boring. THERE ARE SOOO MANY PARTS IN THE MELODY YOU WANT TO MIX. the melody gets boring. you think "if i was her, id sing it differntly" it gets irratating listening to the album. maybe ill like it more if i keep listening to it. and Amy's voice sounds..."cloggy". if you know what i mean. they should just re-record/release "Origin" and songs like "So Close"
    mya/shmoosh
    i liked fallen but when i heard call me when your sober i didnt like it at all. it just sounds kind of awkward i understand what xgunshyx means about wanting to mix the melody. i heard a bit of the rest of the album and i think it sounded better but im sick of everythinhg being about amy lee i really dont like her at all
    Elvish_Ranger06
    I got to admit...Fallen was DEFINITELY better than this new one, and even listening to them all started to make me bored, but there are a few good ones, Call Me When You're Sober being one. This was there "Bring Me To Life", as is "Good Enough" was there "My Immortal." Sweet Sacrifice was there "Going Under". There was lots of relations, but Fallen was put out much better than was The Open Door. But I still like it, and I still love Evanescence.
    pratt121
    My main complaint against Evanescence is that their singer can't seem to sing without having about 3 backup vocal tracks in harmony. It's annoying, it causes a huge problem with her ability to use dynamics and energy, and it makes everything reek of overproduction and cliched vamping. I'd like to see them take their sound somewhere more organic... minimalize.
    archangel666
    wow! love the album and i can't stop listening. i find it interesting though, that some people don't like the song "like you" as much, cause i absolutly love it. it's such a personal song for amy. great album for sure!
    punkrockjoe
    These reviews are pretty much all written by either fan-boys of a certain band or haters why can't they just have somebody neutral? I do not like evanescence it's just centred around amy lee.
    EmancipatedSoul
    Id put it at about average. Ive never been a big evanescence fan, but i enjoyed fallen. a few songs madew me sleep, but the rest are actually fairly ok.
    Magero
    The problem with these reviews is that they're are all written by fanboys. It could be the worst album the band had ever made and you would still get all the die-hard fans screaming that its a masterpiece. I got sick of Evanescance years ago. Its repeatitive chart-orientated, piano ballad littered, pop-rock. It is not by any stretch of the imagination ,unless its a especially dull imagination, gothic.
    Amy_Lee
    9_11_4
    Overall, the heavier parts are heavier, and the softer parts are softer okaaaaay... sounds like a pretty crap album 2 me.. but thats just me