The Melody And The Energetic Nature Of Volume review by Evans Blue

• Released: Feb 21, 2006
Evans Blue: The Melody And The Energetic Nature Of Volume

A little over a year ago five members of three different bands got together through one of musician's message boards, creating a line-up of later was called Evans Blue. With the help of producer Trevor Kustiak of The Pocket Studios in Toronto, Canada, Kevin Matisyn (vocals), Parker Lauzon (guitars), Vlad Tanaskovic (guitars), Joe Pitter (bass), Darryl Brown (drums) recorded their debut album "The Melody And The Energetic Nature Of Volume," out February 2006. According to the music Evans Blue are playing, guys are under the impression of bands like Tool, 10 Years and Taproot. Even though it is defined as hard-smashing rock, there's a melody highlighting every song -- led by vocals and guitars. Music in general is difficult -- both for playing and understanding. It's not a background for something, you've got to actually listen to it to realize what it's worth. All songs are written with a great intense and are very tightly stuffed -- bridges, strong drum solos, layers of guitars. The guitarists' work is impressive. The ultimate guitar formula here requires at least two guitars -- rhythm with a harder sound (preferably of course distortion), which leads the song and creates the fury energy, and lead guitar, mostly at the background, which feels music with wonderful melodies. Drums add bass to music, having a lot of lower toms in the line. The entire album keeps you strained while listening to it, letting you rest only by the end of the record with the only ballad here -- "Quote." Guys have a weird, but good taste for covers -- one of the songs on "The Melody And The Energetic Nature Of Volume" is a song by Canadian singer Sarah McLachan "Possession." The track's got woman's vocals on the background of singer Matisyn as a reminder of the original "Possession." The cover is very well-done (though has no proper end) and surprisingly fits the album as if it's one of the band's own songs.

Probably the best thing about vocals is that they are effortless, which makes them sound very sincere. The second best thing -- they are volumetric and various -- always multiple, with a second-voice support in chords. Singer Matisyn tried to use every vocal ability he's got -- from loud whispering and clear melodic vocals to roar. As well as music itself, the lyrics are highly emotional and meaningful, full of agony and despair of a lost soul. Would have been very powerful if not the feeling you've heard all that before.

It's a one-piece record, with a feeling of being written on one breath, thus appearing solid. The CD's got the chemistry only young bands have -- something that appears when the guys are very enthusiastic, still really enjoy the company of each other and share the same kind of progressive energy. Unfortunately it's hard to keep it within the band and a lot of acts loose it by the second full record. A blurred picture of a pixie in a can with on the CD sleeve is unusual and shows the band's got creativity in something apart music as well. It takes time to get into Evan's Blue music and the album grows on you as you listen to it. The verses are stuffed with different and unpredictable music changes, generously plugging up the lack of individuality; when choruses are much easier and quite catchy. Even though the average song hardly exceeds 4-minute limit, due to high intense of music, it feels like a 7-minute track. "The Melody And The Energetic Nature Of Volume" has got quite a few strong songs (though not very different form each other) with the first single "Cold (But I'm Still Here)" being by far not the top track of the album.

mr_johansan
    This is a coooool album one og the best. And thats the botom line cos Sean Shonnery said so
    MilMan
    This is one of the best albums I have heard this year. It is a completely great mix of vocals and music which kept me entertained for a long time. I would suggest it to anyone and they put on one he!! of a show.
    NetWhippy
    i really like this album, from the music to the lyrics. It reminds me of when I started listening to Staind except with a bit less depressing tones. Can't wait to see them in concert!
    CDubDSP
    Very good review. Just a few comments I would like to add. As for the Sarah McLachlan cover, they end the song exactly as she does in the original. Also, a few stand out tracks include : Beg, A Cross and a Girl Named Blessed, and ofcourse their 2nd single Over. This is probably the best CD purchase I've ever made. It's constantly in my CD player. I've also seen them in concert twice since purchasing the album, both times they've put on excellent shows.
    Biohazard
    this album is surprisingly good. aside from the lyrics, i would say this album is choice for any heavy fan. the singer has a great voice, but his lyrics are kinda meh.
    leezer
    This is a really good album, it really grew on me, the lyrics seem to be written very easily and usually id laugh at them but it sort of works and comes off as a positive thing