The Pursuit Begins When This Portrayal Of Life Ends review by Evans Blue

• Released: Jul 24, 2007
Evans Blue: The Pursuit Begins When This Portrayal Of Life Ends

Evans Blue's first album "The Melody And The Energetic Nature Of Volume" was an album filled with pure musical energy. All the songs were good, but they always left me feeling like something was missing. Well, that hole has been filled. All of the songs still have that energy, but now it's been refined into great pieces of music. The two guitars of Parker Lauzon and Vlad Tanaskovic work off of each other and provide depth while the bass (Joe Pitter) and drums (Davis Howard) give a solid rhythm. Granted they're not reinventing rock and roll, but you can tell they are putting 110% into their music. The whole album sounds very similar to Breaking Benjamin's 'Phobia' but with more emotion put into the songs. Painted is by far the best track. The first half is a very moving song, after that the second half is an epic guitar solo that lasts for a full 4-5 minutes. It just shows the potential they have and the amazing direction they could take their music.

Kevin Matisyn has blown me away again. He writes short stories and poems and then rewrites them as songs. In this way, every song becomes a story. "Fear" is a song filled with fear and doubt. "Q (The Best One Of Our Lives)" is a very heavy song with a message about a broken heart. "Kiss the Flag" is about a soldier who dies in war. The line that moved me most was the chorus line of "Kiss the Flag." They woke up to hear me screaming "God help us! God where are you in this fight? Because no one knows whose side you're on anymore. Matisyn has an amazing voice. He can be singing softly and sweetly and break out an incredible scream two seconds later.

I was a big fan of Evans Blue's first album, so I rushed out and got this one the day it came out. It's been about six months since then, and I still listen to it at least once a week. One cool thing I noticed is the album starts with the sound of a film reel winding up and ends with it winding down. This symbolizes each song as scenes in a movie or chapters in a book. I was annoyed by the fact that there aren't very many heavy songs on this album. But it's a small price to pay, cause the songs that are on their are still great. My favorite songs are Q(The Best One of Our Lives), Shine Your Cadillac, Kiss the Flag, The Pursuit, and Painted. I would definitely buy it again if it were stolen.

damien-fr
    This was EB at there prime, I listen to this album every day. If you've ever heard anything of of the would-be third album, you'll know it doesn't hold a candle to this. Let's just hope EB and KM both end up writing amazing stuff like the have in the past.
    -Collapse-
    Evans blue are talented as hell! The singer writes such awesome lyrics. I love all their albums.
    K.i.S.A.
    Lol, whoops... That should be nine months instead of six... I was too lazy to check the exact release date of it..
    LP4EVR
    seriously the pursuit is probably one of the best songs of last year EB ROCKS!!!!
    metaldalz
    Pursuit is a really good album, but theres no song like Quote from the first album, still great band, great album!!
    the_furk
    Unreal album... I can't get enough of it. Its very upsetting that Matisyn has left the band now. Evans Blue will never be the same again...
    linghoejohnson9
    i love this album. evans blue is the greatest band ever!! it just makes me wanna cry now that Matisyn was voted out of the band =( their just not evans blue without him