Vitriol review by Evenoire

• Released: Mar 26, 2012
Evenoire: Vitriol

I had my fist contact with this band through a music from their album "Vitriol", called "Days Of The Blackbird" and instantly I was blown away! Very operatic feel but at the same time very aggressive music! "Vitriol" is the debut album of this Italian band, recorded in Dreamsound Studios (had to search this one!) Don't know how to label this album, because it has lots of different influences, ranging from gothic and symphonic metal to medieval/folk and I can find other beautiful parts with arabic feels, for example! It starts very calm with (what I think) it's an harp intro on the title track and then with "Days Of Blackbird" gets more aggressive. It's one of those albums that transport us to other places! The operatic voice and the flute are beautiful, the guitars very aggressive but very melodic at the same time and the different influences show that this is a very versatile band. You can hear this on musics like "Misleading Paradise", "Minstrel Of Dolomites" or on the (weird) "Alchimia".

The operatic voice of Lisy Stefanoni is beautiful, very calm when necessary and very powerful when the music calls for power! The chorus parts are catchy enough but without sounding predictable. The only "bad" part (I think) it's sometimes they use too much of the opera voice. Lyrics talk about dreams, enchanted places and creatures from fairy tales. Which I really like and think it's suited to this style of music.

I would choose "Misleading Paradise" has the best song of this album, but all the others are very good as well! I advice this album to fans of Nightwish and Within Temptation and of other bands in the same genre, just because of the voice which is similar, but like I said before, it has lots of other influences and that is definitely one thing to have in mind when you hear the album. I rate it with a 10, because with lots of great bands out there it's is still possible to be surprised. This is a band that surprised me!