Real Life review by Evermore

• Released: Jul 8, 2006
  • Reviewer's score: 6.3 Neat
Evermore: Real Life

Three Brothers from Fielding, New Zealand are not the mostly likely choice for Australian and New Zealand band of the year, but Evermore have taken both countries by storm, and managed to become a part of the musical history books. The poppy but not too poppy sound of the tracks make it okay for the now-rock people to listen to, and for the popaholics, so all round, evermore's second album has succeeded in reaching a wide audience.

The lyrics, although mostly simple couplets, using a one line hook and mostly a one line chorus, sticks in the head, and is memorable. Jon Hume has a brilliant falsetto, and a range that some girls would kill for. Even with all that, it sounds quite good, and attracted the hoards of teenage girls (myself not an exception, but I like the music and not the looks of Jon Hume)

How does it compare? God, it's just odd. From the Piano riff in Light Surrounding You, to the chriping bugs in Goodnight Is Not The End, the album sticks out as being versatile and interesting to listen to, even in it's lowest points of Never Let You Go and The Great Unknown. I would recommend it to pop-lovers and people who like MGMT.

Bloodlust Vamp
    Lowest point being Never Let You Go? Thats probably one of their best songs on this album - I mean, just listen to the harmonies sung by all 3 brothers that reoccur throughout the song; absolutely beautiful. But hey, opinions opinions. I don't necessarily see how people who like MGMT should be recommended to Evermore; I like both bands, but they are very different... and Evermore isn't even near the Pop genre in Real Life, its more of a soft rock album full of relationship ballads... quite influenced by classic rock actually.