Gutter Phenomonon review by Every Time I Die

• Released: Aug 23, 2005
Every Time I Die: Gutter Phenomonon

Every Time I Die's sound is now more southern rock and less generic metalcore. Some people may see this as bad, but the sound really seems to fit the band better, and they do it in a way that can appeal to all fans of hardcore music. If you have Hot Damn! just imagein more songs like "I Been Gone A Long Time." With the addition of a new bassist (or two new bassists one could say), ETID still rocks your ass so hard that you can't shit right for a week.

Keith Buckley is a poet, even if you can't understand what he's screaming about. The lyrics are as good as ever, hitting society and popular music trends below the belt. Even casual listeners would notice that Buckley's voice seems to have gotten lower since the last album. The screams are more guttural that shrieky. Also, there is more melodic singing. Overall, I preferred the old vocal style, but his voice isn't anything to complain about at all.

Gutter Phenomenon is so ETID, yet so different at the same time. A bit of a throwback to more straight up rock n' roll stylings. An impressive collection of intense "core" and riffs. The wit is razor sharp as always. These guys are clearly having fun, and the listener will too. Guest vocals by Daryl Palumbo (Glassjaw, Head Automatica) are a plus. "Champing On The Bit" (which Palumbo is singing on) is my personal fav.