Gutter Phenomonon review by Every Time I Die

• Released: Aug 23, 2005
Every Time I Die: Gutter Phenomonon

To the release of Gutter Phenomenon in 2005, Every Time I Die have already had a lot behind their backs -- a debut LP (2003's Hot Damn!), 7 years of existing, all major fests and endless changes of the bassist. Gutter Phenomenon has a lot more rock feeling to it, than the band's previous releases, but still it's Every Time I Die sound -- a crazy mix of metal, emo, hardcore and rock'n'roll. Every song on the album is like a blast of energy -- fast, furious, shut out of a machine-gun. You'd have to give Gutter Phenomenon a few listens to get into it - besides being multi-styled, music is multi-layered, and not of layers are obvious from the first listen. Gutter Phenomenon is fun to listen to as the band stuffed it with different unexpected things -- such as claps in Pretty Dirty and back vocal chorals in Champing At The Bit. They mix such incompatible things that you can't even imagine to be mixed and do it with such a great taste, that it sounds brilliant. The songs have weird structures -- there are no choruses and no verses. Tracks end as unexpectedly as they start -- no intros or endings, which only adds to the fury feel of the record. The record pace is hardcore-fast with tracks containing a lot of unpredictable tempo changes. What differs the music from plain metalcore is drumwork -- there are no pounding and massive basses that makes your subs shake. Even though there is double bass and a lot of crash cymbals, drums sound light, turning from very very fast to moderate within one song. Between of core and metal distortion chords the guys squeezed in some boogie and rock. Their rock 'n' roll riffs and little guitar solos, appearing everywhere on the record are delicious. The best example is the stand-out The New Black -- it even makes you believe that the good old rock 'n' roll still grooves (the line of gritty tracks after makes you forget about it though). You'll get some fast guitar exercises by Andrew Williams as well. The bass line is not too obvious, it stands out only a few times on the whole album, but when it does, it fits in very well (like leading handclaps in Pretty Dirty).

When it comes to writing music, Buckley says that he's the last one to hear the song only when it's almost done; there he makes up the lyrics and vocals. That approach is obvious when you hear as the vocals follow every little change in the music and it works really well. Buckley switches from angry screamo to the insane emo vocals that pictures Deftones' Chino Moreno in your mind very vividly. Sometimes Buckley's going wild, chasing the music and it seems he's singing in agony. Lyrics are full of sarcasm and rude humor. Most of the time you only guess what he's singing about as it's a big mess and a game of words not stunning, we're just stunned from The New Black). The album is full of funny bold expressions worth quoting - like Put down the sheriff's horse" in Gloom And How It Gets That Way.

The only thing Every Time I Die are serious about is turning their business into ridiculous hardcore game of bastards. Guys pretend to be as schizophrenic and ridiculous in everything as though there're trying to outdo Tom Green, talking about dicks, asses, c*nts. Profiles on their website quote What are you looking at, p--sy?" (for Keith Buckley) and Let me hold you d*ck when you pee (for Chris Byrnes) and the stand-out line on the album is Hey there, girls! A cunt! 'They don't care' approach allows them to make music out of whatever comes to their minds, excepting all the rules, and that's what makes then sound awesome.

catalyst329
    DaBlackE
    Good CD, great band to see live. I'm suprised no one has compared the guys to the Dillinger Escape Plan.
    stutor
    I saw them live a few months ago and they were really cool. Keith let me go on his speedboat after the show even though he was drunk. He is really great. a great man of western civilisation
    KoRnFr33K7
    There music is amazing, their older stuff is better but this album is still amazing. THe lumber jack looking guitarist picked me up at the show in orlando and said "yo im gonna play you like a guitar." and i was like what and now i have a pic of me be played as a guitar by this dude. its somewhere on myspace and ive got the pic on my comp. ITS HILARIOUSA.
    No Seatbelt
    Nybb
    DaBlackE
    Nybb wrote: No Seatbelt : Being compared to the Dillinger Escape Plan (saying you sound similar to them) is a f*cking insult. I may check out this CD. Are you joking me? DEP is one of the best prog bands around right now. If they are too good for you than don't check out this album either, Every Time I Die is almost as good as DEP. I hate to be one of those people that are always like "the older stuff was better" but in this case I really did like Hot Damn more. Still pretty good tho.
    This guy knows what's up!
    BuzzingForYou17
    I heard that ETID is re-releasing this album with a bonus DVD on June 12th because this one was "rushed". If you've actually compared the sound quality (vocals especially) to Hot Damn, you'll know what I'm talking about. Wait two weeks or so before checking this one out. Seriously.
    sigillum
    jesus christ, use spell check or something! this is on the front page of a website. anyway, i loved this album, hot damn was better, in my opinion, but this is a good album. you could also proof-read before posting something, that might help.
    jasonkan
    yeah ok, this album is different to hot damn but certainly not a letdown...sum real good stuff on this album.
    drowntheradio
    Ugh, whoever the first reviewer was needs to get their facts straight. He messed up the two most important points of the album. ETID's drummer DOES NOT use a double kick pedal, that's why this album shows you can still play hardcore with out double bass blasts and chugga chugga breakdowns. Second, the standout line of the album is on Bored Stiff, where he screams "Hey there! Girls! I'm a ****!", not "Hey there, girls! A ****!" It's called spell-check and cross-referencing.
    drowntheradio
    Forgot about the filter, in case anyone doesn't know, the word that was censored was cu/\/t. :]
    LetsGoRedskins
    catalyst329 wrote: It took a while to get every song to sink in but when they did I coudnt stop listen to it.
    Very true, give it a few listens and every song will grow on you. It's a great album, by a truly amazing band. If you like heavy music, with fun smart-ass (and equally smart) lyrics.... Buy this album !