Hot Damn! review by Every Time I Die

• Released: Jul 1, 2003
Every Time I Die: Hot Damn!

Listening to this album is like being choked for 27 minutes. As soon as you switch on the CD you get a scream and a tuneless riff and it just carries on from there. This is primarily a hardcore album with a slight lean towards thrash but there is a definate feel of rock 'n' roll attitude. Songs like "I been gone a long time" with it's bluesy outro and fucking rock intro show the diversity of this band, and that's a difficult thing to do in less than half an hour. The guitars are very distorted and very loud and the vocals scream from somewhere underneath. It's great.

I love both the lyrics and the vocals on this album. Ebolorama is a perfect example of typical ETID lyrics. A song about deborched teenage sex and drinking but they don't suck. A common lyrical technique is to take a cliched phrase and mould it. e.g. "When in Rome we will do as the Romans. When in Hell we'll do shots at the bar.", " Every time I die have a complete pussy for a singer and that's what makes it so good. When you have instruments that are so heavy and loud the singer has to try his hardest to compete, and a guy with a pussy voice has to try that much harder.

This is a great hardcore album. It's very agressive, noisy and fast. Perhaps a little diversity in the guitar would have been nice. Most of the riffs seem to be open palm mute then a dischord but it sounds creepy which I like. It's the kind of music that a chainsaw murderer would play at his birthday party. The album itself is the perfect length, though it's only 27 minutes long it certainly doesn't feel like another throw away half an hour hardcore/punk album, it keeps you interested and breathless. If you want some good ol' fucked up music then get this album cuz it's great.