Hot Damn! review by Every Time I Die

• Released: Jul 1, 2003
Every Time I Die: Hot Damn!

The musical styles of this band are simply amazing. True, they do sit in the 'hardcore' genre, but their music samples from so many other different genres. You can hear metal, thrash, punk, rock n' roll, blues. They easily go from fast, hardcore dancing, head banging metal to slow, heavy, haunting melody. Compare, for insance, "Floater" to "In the Event Everything Should Go Terribly Wrong."

The lyrics of the album uphold the high standard of ETID writing. These guys come up with the greatest lyrics ever. I know people who don't appreciate hardcore music, but will admit to finding ETID's lyrics 'bad ass.' Kieth Buckley is, simply put, the man. Not only does he put on a good show (as can be seen in the Hellfest 2002 DVD), but he combines his ability to sing well (for a hardcore band) with his ability to scream his friggin' head off.

I feel that their first Album, "Last Night in Town" made a greater impact on me. Songs like "California, Gracefully", and "Punch-Drunk-Punk-Rock Romance" with their technical guitar intros caught my attention originally. The impression that I got from their first album is what set them apart from other hardcore bands for me. I like the more Rockish sound that they had on "Hot Damn!" though. It moved away from the staple hardcore to a more dangerous, more raw sound. Both albums are 100% worth buying. They're great to drive on the freeway to. Heheh.