New Junk Aesthetic review by Every Time I Die

• Released: Sep 15, 2009
Every Time I Die: New Junk Aesthetic

Sure, Hot Damn! is the record that most Every Time I Die fiends revere and exault. How can you not, with mosh-happy tracks like Ebolarama and She's My Rushmore. These Buffalo-born bruisers were always quick to fuse artsy noise with a hefty amount of mosh, without ever, ever scrimping on intelligent, snarky, sarcastic and totally witty lyrical declarations and affirmations. Put simply, ETID were smart then and they're just as smart now. New Junk Aesthetic steps away from some of that Southern-tinge that marked 2007's The Big Dirty, but still firmly in place is the gnarly guitars and the whip smart metal that has always been part and parcel of this band's sound. New Junk Aesthetic isn't standard or typical metalcore; ETID's elevates the formula with little intricacies on the guitar. The door of the album blows open with the squall and feedback of Roman Holiday and it's the slowest and sludgiest thing that band has ever done, only serving to prove the fact that heavy doesn't always have to coincide with fast. Who Invited The Russian Soldier gets nasty and feels like a call to action, even though it isn't, thanks to the sense of urgency that pervades every note of the song and ultimately, the record. The album sound terrific without drifting into sterile territory; it's never too polished, but it's crispness is apparent, especially in the fact that you can understand and comprehend the vocals and lyrics. Wanderlust has a Mastodonian vibe, and it's the closest thing the band would have to a single, thanks to its racy riffs and Buckley's almost fully clean vocalizations. It's quite reminiscent of At The Drive-In and we all know how influential they went onto become. White Smoke and Turtles All the Way Down slay in new, unexpected ways, thanks to the band's use of harmonies!

Only Keith Buckley can say We are the life of the funeral and not sound like a f--king asshole. The vocalist has a rare gift for double-entendre and for twisting clichs into fresh, sarcastic phrasing. He sings and he screams, and on New Junk Aesthetic, his screaming has more depth than it ever has. Dillinger Escape Plan's Greg Puciato lends his supernatural pipes to a track on the disc, dubbed The Marvelous Slut and he and Buckley trade barbs and display fitting chemistry, even though the song is not even two minutes long. But that's the beauty of ETID: they make their points efficiently. Buckley and the band have said that the new junk aesthetic of the title is similar to a high calorie, low nutrition menu at a fast food joint. It may taste good going down, but man, it does nothing for your health. So many bands are just churning out soul-free music and ETID aren't one of them, employing artificial studio means to make music. Buckley's voice is as raw as a hide of meat and it allows his lyrics to be more immediate and to land like punches from a UFC fighter.

Metalcore is played out; it's as saturated with bands as a humid day is with thick, wet and suffocating air. While ETID were born of that genre, they do everything in their power to push it forward and to make something new and different, without succumbing to the ever-popular, vocoder/electronic/mosh trend! New Junk Aesthetic rages from stem to stern, and even when they're pissed off, ETID have fun while they're going off. Every Time I Die have always been known for and often celebrated for their on stage antics (costumes, banter, etc) and never take ourselves too seriously attitude. New Junk Aesthetic is ETID sticking true to form.

Every Time I Die guitarist wrote out a tab for the album's song "The Marvalous Slut" exclusively for Ultimate-Guitar.com. Check it out here!

Stretch_Wilson
    hahaha hot damn humperdunk got burned but **** this album is such a step up they are seriously going to influence the next breed of metalcore can't wait to see them when they come out from all the holes but every time i die, they can't go wrong ever
    Nocturne12
    5150addict wrote: I really dont know why every time i die always gets the metalcore catagory. to me theyre not metalcore.
    I second that. I don't particularly like metalcore, but I ****ing worship these guys. Maybe I just haven't listened to enough good metalcore, I don't know, but these guys are so different from what I've heard... Ever. Another solid album, nice work.
    EpiExplorer
    Title sounds a bit ghey, if I'm honest, no doubt I'll be forced to listen to it anyway. -.-''
    GarrettAbbey
    much closer to gutter phenomenon than the big dirty.. dig it. saw them at the album release show and it was insane. too bad the played with those british ****s BMTH
    spidersquasher
    Fatally Jon wrote: This album is sweet. It took me forever to find the song with Pete Wentz on it because none of the songs sound whiny.
    i still can't hear him in there. i know he's somewhere in after one quarter of a revolution. but he's screaming and it mixes in with Keith. He's not a bad screamer either.
    DaysoftheBlue
    RUSTDOGG666 wrote: I mean seriously what is up with this name Every Time I Die? You can only die once? How many times can you die? It makes no sense. Anyways I saw these guys once in concert and it was just a bunch of annoying noise. I give this album 1/10. I don't know whats wrong with the person that did this review and actually had good things to say about this must be tone deaf.
    Yeah i know. Hey what the **** is With Led Zepplin, too? That shit would totally fall. Thats not even how you spell Led either!
    jafarosaurus
    This is by far my favorite album ever! Every Time I Die is one of the most original metal bands out there. This album is pretty much all of their previous albums mixed into one. The riffs are ridiculous, and Keith's lyrics are genious. Period.
    GetTheGasoline
    IfDaysEnd wrote: Definitely the heaviest material they've put since Hot Damn!
    are you kidding me????? uGHHHHH
    zombiexcore
    What say we invent another genre? Southern metalcore? Haha. Every time I finish listening to this album, I have to take a shower. It makes me feel slithery and dirty and awesome.
    ~Get Ridiculous
    This album's the shit. I read an interview on here with one of their guitarists, Andy Williams, and he was saying how started to experiment with more pedals on here. I think the riffs on here are ****ing glorious.
    PerilousMangoo
    this album is great. every time i die is one of my all around favorite bands. they always stick to their unique sound
    Fatally Jon
    Stretch_Wilson
    dude you just have no taste in music or your just ****in envious coz they stole your ideas which they didn't. period they are metalcore but only for the fact that there music is both hardcore and metal at the same time tho they have quiet a lot of southern rock in there which is probably why no one has heard anything similar before
    the*matt
    Anvil pants wrote: ETID is the best southern hardcore band ever.
    Agreed. I love the hell out of these guys. They can do no wrong in my eyes
    mattwr81
    When i got my hands on this album, i listened to it 3 times back to back. This is the perfect direction for ETID. They got everything right.
    5150addict
    ps. who invented the russian soldier? has some of the heaviest and most ballsy riffs ive ever heard. period. the production on this album is perfect for this band.
    5150addict
    I really dont know why every time i die always gets the metalcore catagory. to me theyre not metalcore. Their just nasty party metal. Always have been. just so happens this is their heaviest/best sounding record to date.
    Eurasian_C
    ibanez949 wrote: I feel like events such as these deserve celebration.
    A celebration consisting of flowing beer and bountiful amounts of hot wings. I'd be down!
    Eurasian_C
    I've loved ALL there albums but there's no denying the energy that this album has. It's BRILLIANT! I love every single track, but I have to say that "Wanderlust" is my ultimate favorite. Keith's vocals are amazing. 10/10 enough said.
    Decoid
    I live this album! And oh God I laughed when I saw the tab he wrote for UG Haha
    Pricey85
    This is a flipping brilliant album. Mental, Energetic, Clever lyrics, brilliant Riffs, great drumming and fun to blast out.
    blackborrego
    AWESOME! this new cd reminded me that ETID is really good band, they put some original shit into metalcore and that is why I love them.
    RUSTDOGG666