The Big Dirty review by Every Time I Die

• Released: Sep 4, 2007
Every Time I Die: The Big Dirty

Every genre has it's pinnacle artist. Every Time I Die is just that for metalcore. Their progression between albums is ambitious beyond skeptiscism, initailly sounding like mildly organized chaos on "Last Night in Town" to the more listener friendly assault of 2003's masterpiece "Hot Damn." Picking up where they left on '05's "Gutter Phenomenon" ETID wear their Rock 'n' Roll influence proudly with this years "The Big Dirty." At this point they've created something unique and original that you will not find anywhere else. We're hearing the same seizure inducing riffs and head-crushing breakdowns but this time a round with a bit more swing and dare I say, groove?

Keith Buckley is a lyrical mastermind. His sarcastic snarl is up to par as usual as he bellows "Who taught you those words? Don't ever say rock and roll!" in No Son of Mine. It's been noted that Keith is not around for the writing which doesn't come as much of a surprise given the random and frantic tendencies of his vocals. How does one write words to seemingly unstructured music? Simple, scream your head off about anything and everything. Even in his darkest passages you can't help but laugh equally at his brilliance and with. "Hang 'em high and let 'em sing" in Pigs is Pigs is absolutely chill inducing. How he manages to continue to top himself is a mystery but one that I'm happy to accept. No shortage of one-liners here.

This is a fantastic rock band. Not an easy first time listen no matter what album you're playing but give it time and it all begins to make sense. Comparing this to their early work is both irrelevant and impossible. They continue to make great songs with an anger and bite you'd be hard pressed to find anywhere else. Bravo!

holy ghost
    love this band...but I'm kinda worn out on this album. the vocals didnt rally do much for me.
    sad.rock.444
    kickassMAGIC!
    This is for sure a great album But... am I the only one who can't hear Dallas Green's vocals on INRIhab? I mean, I listened to it tons of times, and I just don't hear it...
    justchillin21
    Maybe we will never get another "Last night in town" but etid always has good ol' family entertainment, total "shinfo"
    leper_affinity
    sad.rock.444 wrote: ashamed to say that I'm an ETID beginner, but I love it, especially "Imitation is the Sincerest Form of Battery"
    You have good taste, my friend.
    okaykiddo
    kickassMAGIC! wrote: But... am I the only one who can't hear Dallas Green's vocals on INRIhab? I mean, I listened to it tons of times, and I just don't hear it...
    "I marched across the muddy stream..." Great album, its really awesome to see how they have constantly stayed close to their roots while still pushing their sound, ****ing amazing band and musicians.
    Revenge24
    To be honest, I find this album better than their previous works because I find myself thoroughly enjoying every last song on it. No Son Of Mine and We'rewolf are the stand-outs for me, but every song is fantastic nonetheless.