Seeing Clearly review by Everyone Dies In Utah

• Reviewer's score: 5.3 Decent
Everyone Dies In Utah: Seeing Clearly

Everyone Dies In Utah present a pretty clean, by-the-book approach to post-hardcore in "Seeing Clearly". While a fan of this band, I will admit there isn't much original or unique about their delivery. Pretty much every stale and overused technique is present on this release: breakdowns, octaves, pinch harmonics, swapped dirty/clean vocals, panic chords and electronics. The best way I could describe the album is like a pile of Legos in the hand of an architect. The pieces are all the same and you've seen them a million times before, but the way they've been put together gives the impression that the final product is more than just an imitation.

Lyrical themes cover basic issues of overcoming problems and life's challenges, but among the tried lines are a few noteworthy lines that stuck with me long after the disk stopped spinning. "Count your blessings, not your burdens" (from "Dude, I Know... It's Everywhere") is delivered with such vigor and passion that I found myself chanting the line in my head for quite some time, and "Take us for who we are, not for what we've done" (from "Synthesize Me, Captain") rings with the kind of one-line intensity that fans of the genre crave. Outside of the few good lines, however, the words just don't stick out, and at worst, come off as passionless or written JUST to take up space. Vocally, EDIU are also hit-and-miss. The screams usually stick in a pretty close comfort zone in the lower register, and only rise higher than that maybe two or three times on the whole record. And the cleans are nothing new at all. Not to offend, but the band could benefit from a new singer who didn't stick within the exact same range throughout all the songs. This, in some cases isn't problematic, but when the choruses are absolutely indestinguishable from one another due to simmilar tone, the music suffers considerably.

Everyone Dies In Utah have potential to be a magnificent band. However, their reliance on scene stereotypes and unwillingness to exit vocal comfort zones drags their music down considerably. Hopefully by the time these guys get around to recording another album, they'll be a little rougher, a little wiser, and a little more motivated to make a truly passionate album. For fans of: Attack Attack!, Asking Alexandria, Breathe Carolina.

ninjagayden777
    Yea, that's what I meant. it's a common chord structure in post-hardcore/metalcore to fill space. usually played as a 9 on the G string and a 6 on the B string.
    ninjagayden777
    Post-Hardcore (as defined by wikipedia): "Post-hardcore is derived from hardcore punk, which had typically featured very fast tempos, loud volume and heavy bass levels..... Post-hardcore is typically characterized by its precise rhythms and loud guitar-based instrumentation accompanied by a combination of clean vocals and screams....." Big genre incorperating everything from At The Drive-In to Dance Gavin Dance to Circa Survive.
    CrazyTy
    panic chords are just the copy n paste dissonant chords everyone uses.
    ninjagayden777
    From my experience, panic chords are dissonance chords. Example in the band's music is here at 03
    P.S. EpiExplorer I must finally tip my hat to you. Bringing Meshuggah into an EDIU review...simply godly
    EpiExplorer
    dale-banez wrote: What the hell is a "panic chord"?
    An atonal chord that sounds like 'danger' but is just a slightly re-arranged powerchord. The main verse riff to this song is probably what hes talking about:
    BwareDWare94
    I just refreshed my knowledge of the theory of devolution. I didn't even need to research anything. I just looked at this ****ing band name.
    drummer_boy70
    It's easy to criticize. How about you tell the fans of EDIU when your next tour shows will be or what your last album was so we can hear you all do it better?