Enter The Grave review by Evile

• Released: Aug 27, 2007
Evile: Enter The Grave

Originally founded as a cover band by school friends Matt Drake and Ben Carter, the two members asked Matt's brother Ol to join as lead guitarist. After a short search for a bass player they were contacted by Mike Alexander and the line-up was completed. After recording two self-released EPs, All Hallows Eve and Hell, supporting Exodus (band) and a short European tour in 2006, the band soon signed to Earache Records and recorded their debut album Enter the Grave at Sweet Silence Studios in Copenhagen by producer Flemming Rasmussen (Metallica, Morbid Angel, Blind Guardian, Artillery). This is an old school Thrash metal record with a 21st century sound, the album has a fuller sound that many Thrash records from the 80s lacked. There's all types of guitar playing here, technical, fast, heavy; everything that makes you think: "Damn I need to practice." Being Thrash metal, this record never slows down, and will leave you begging for mercy, you'll be banging your head to this record replay, after replay. Ol (lead guitarist) is able to play some really technical solos, that fit prefectly with the song, and he'll throw one or two in every song where he gets the chance.

The lyrics in this album borrow from '80s metal bands and films. For example, the song 'First Blood' is about John Rambo, 'Thrasher' is a nod to Metallica's 'Whiplash' and generally going all out crazy at a metal gig, whilst 'Killer From The Deep' is about the Great White from the film Jaws. Evile have mixed together the music and cinema of the '80s and made a debut album that some artists struggle to produce after a lifetime together. Matt Drake's (singer/guitarist) vocals sit really well, deep, agressive and clear. You are able to hear and understand every word that is said, which msakes a refreshing change from todays screamo.

This is a great debut album by an awesome down to Earth UK band. The most impressive songs have to be 'We Who Are About To Die' an epic song about a battle between Gladiators, and the incredibly groove laden 'Bathe In Blood.' This album takes me back to my favourite era of metal and films, when artists made music that changed the world, and when directors where making films of apocalyptic worlds where humans are hunted by robots. If anything the mix in this record could have included a little more bass, but then again I think Flemming Rasmussen knew what he was doing (or perhaps my laptop's speakers aren't quite up to it). I already have two copies of this album (one got signed, the other for everyday play), and if I lost it or it was stolen, I wouldn't think twice about buying it again, awesome debut album.

Reiatsu
    THRASH IS BACK!!! I've only heard Thrasher and First Blood so far, but I can tell you this band will be famous in a few years. They make Trivium (as much as I like them) look like amateurs when it comes to good old 80's thrash. Definitely pick this one up if you're into some 100% insane head-banging METAL!! 9.5 / 10 (based on two songs... that number will probably go up XD)
    I_Am_Iron_Man
    Haven't listened to this album yet, but they're from my home town and the band members occasionally come to the guitar shop where I work at.