Infected Nations review by Evile

logo Ultimate Guitar
  • Released: Sep 21, 2009
  • Sound: 9
  • Lyrics: 8
  • Overall Impression: 10
  • Reviewer's score: 9 Superb
  • Users' score: 8.6 (67 votes)
Evile: Infected Nations
3

Sound — 9
Enter The Grave was an "old-school 80s thrash" album, despite the fact it came out 2 years ago. Now though, Evile has gone in a (slightly) new direction. It's still thrash but it's newer, maturer and more progressive thrash. And it's bloody good! The whole tone of the album is darker, in a kind of Lovecraftian way. All the songs are longer and contain quite a few tempo changes. A notable change is that Mike Alexander's bass is more audible and can be heard quite clearly on some parts of songs (notably in Nosophoros). More evidence that the band has matured in song-writing is the 11-minute instrumental Hundred Wrathful Deities. It also must be said, the band are extremely talented musicians and have got even better since Enter The Grave.

Lyrics — 8
The biggest change in the albums is Matt Drake's vocals. His voice is alot darker and sounds evilly strained at times. As with the music, the lyrics have also matured and aren't just about Rambo or draining virgin's blood (even though I thoroughly enjoyed those songs). The lyrics are quite political but disguised as supernatural (Lovecraftian) ramblings.

Overall Impression — 10
Overall, I love this album. Evile seem to have followed Metallica in respects to Ride The Lightning, but at times the new songs remind me of Kreator, which is no problem as the German kings are my favourite band. So BUY this album, or download it if really strapped for cash, but get this album. You won't regret it!

13 comments sorted by best / new / date

    GozitanThrasher
    I really see a BIG Sepulura influence in Evile, and this album kinda proofs this more. It's a classic album, I really enjoy listening to this!It's a different kind of beast compared to "Enter the Grave", which was more 'catchy'(imo anyway :-p)but this wears on you the more you listen to it. Great work Evile!!!
    Robert Gray
    I can understand listeners' disappointment with the album's musical change, though I think it warrants more than a 6.3, especially with Endgame receiving an 8.3.
    suggitt
    i love this album i think it takes a few listens before you really appreciate the music and realize how good it is i hope the next album is even better then this one (if possible)
    touji-za-nai
    I see this is where all those really crappy garage bands you see playing at the local battle of the bands get their influence from.
    PcaKes
    I don't have it yet but I've hear the songs. I think this is just a learning curve. Next album they'll be gettin the tens. I still like this one too but not as much as Enter The Grave.
    cotton3434
    Robert Gray wrote: I can understand listeners' disappointment with the album's musical change, though I think it warrants more than a 6.3, especially with Endgame receiving an 8.3.
    Different reviewer. Duncang tends to give lower scores than Amy Sciaretto (sp?), and imo they're generally more accurate.. Don't really feel like giving this a listen atm.. might later though.
    heinrick
    I like this album, Evile said they wanted to go more towards a modern take on thrash metal this album. I thought it came out pretty well, but yeah it was a pretty rough transition from a pure thrash metal debut album to a sophomore album with a lot of darker elements and a dramatic vocal style change. They're a new band still searching for their niche, so they deserve some leeway
    Paramecium302
    heinrick wrote: I like this album, Evile said they wanted to go more towards a modern take on thrash metal this album. I thought it came out pretty well, but yeah it was a pretty rough transition from a pure thrash metal debut album to a sophomore album with a lot of darker elements and a dramatic vocal style change. They're a new band still searching for their niche, so they deserve some leeway
    I agree, I haven't heard it, but there's nothing wrong with expirementing a little bit, lots of great bands have had drastic sophmore albums. Enter the Grave I think will go down as a classic of Thrash Metal, but like PcaKes said, theyr'e third album with rake in some huge ratings.
    Vedicardi
    touji-za-nai wrote: I see this is where all those really crappy garage bands you see playing at the local battle of the bands get their influence from.
    no you're thinking of trivium