Infected Nations review by Evile

• Released: Sep 21, 2009
Evile: Infected Nations

In this review, I will try my best to refrain from comparing Evile to Metallica and just about every other thrash band under the sun as I'm sure that it's something that is going to plague them for the rest of their career. What I will say however, is if you can imagine the feel and atmosphere of Metallica's Call of Ktulu (sorry) stretched out to an albums worth of material, you have Infected Nations. I only use that song as a reference point however, as I believe the biggest influence over the album are Lovecraftian themes. This isn't a tangible thing that can easily be identified, yet it plays a massive role in the way the songs are pieced together. All the songs are dripping with menace and there seems to be a sort of unknown threatening presence that stays with the whole way through the album, much of this becomes apparent through the intricate riffs, the darkly esoteric lyrics and the slithering harmonies and leads. This is still a thrash album though and the band itself is showing massive progression as musicians and songwriters, turning what were once blunt instruments into precision crafted blades.

Many people have had a problem with Matt Drake's vocals on this album, saying that they don't quite hit the mark. I strongly suggest that those people have their ears throughly cleaned out as Matt Drake's vocals are the defining factor of this album. The way he holds his melodies and the gruff bark that he produces adds volumes to the overall experience of the album. Songs like Now Demolition and Genocide benefit greatly from his vocal lines and in Metamorphosis where he sings "from roots we touch the sky" it actually sounds like he is a horrific monster rising from the depths to reek a plague upon the land. Indeed many of the lyrics of this album contain such vivid, world devouring imagery, which in themselves are metaphors for various social and political issues. Of course they aren't the most mind boggling lyrics in the world, would anyone hazard a guess at what Devoid of Thought is about?, but they are good lyrics all the same.

As I stated before, I dislike comparing this album to other thrash metal bands, because here Evile has managed to step out on its own and create a record that is still throughly a thrash album, but set them apart from other bands that they are too often compared to. No, this isn't Beneath the Remains crossed with ...And Justice For All, this is Infected Nations by Evile! It isn't a perfect album, far from it. It has its musical missteps and much of the album has arguably been stretched out longer than it needs to be. I'll even admit that some of those pseudo growls that Matt Drake threw into some songs were rubbish. But it is the ability for me to notice all those flaws and still love the album to pieces that makes Infected Nations a great record. This album indicates that the only way Evile can go is up and I cannot wait to see what they come up with next.