Bonded By Blood review by Exodus

• Released: Jan 1, 1985
Exodus: Bonded By Blood

One of favorite thrash bands! This is what thrash metal is all about, this album would have been like "Kill 'Em All" and "Show No Mercy" if it would have been released abit earlier. Other than that, these guys are kings of thrash. Although most of the tracks are fast some are kinda slow. But they are still good. Gary Holt and Rick Hunolt are just as good as Hammet and Hetfield, if not better. I love the razor fast riffs and the tempo changes. Gotta love the acoustic intro to "No Love." This is just aching to be played loud.

Lyrics, well it seems like Paul Baloff was one angry guy. Since some of the lyrics do have to do with violence.

The best songs on this CD have to be Bonded By Blood, and then there were none, a lesson in violence and strike of the beast. Like all the other early thrash releases it also has that raw sound to it, which really goes with this kind of music. The only thing I don't like is that you never even hear the bass. Other then that great debut from the Bay Area thrashers.

INUNDATE
    This album is one of the first black metal/thrash albums to strike a chord in the early to mid 80's. People knock Baloff(RIP) vocals but you have to judge aside from just your personal preferences. His vocals hit a true horror that was mimmicked by noone else at the time.Critics at the time were too harsh on matter they didn't understand. Songs like "Deliver Us To Evil", "A Lesson In Violence" are crushing. Gary Holt & Rick Hunolt are extremely talented guitarists. Bonded by Blood is an essential to any Metal arsenal. Check out their follow up "Pleasures of the Flesh" if you can find it. They brought in Steve Souza on vocals who is quite opposite of Baloff but great for the application. Both albums are 10 out of 10's to me.
    smithfor ak0
    oh and about exodus being "more popular than metallica", well they arn't. My mother knows who metallica is. Exodus could NEVER reach so high popularity. I will not argue, though, that exodus is a VERY good band, old and new.
    ironmaiden1
    the reason metallica are so popular is cos their last 4 albums are so commercial and for us their metalheads theyre lost in their world of mtv and hits singles
    Sanitarium91
    I think Exodus sounds a bit like Metallica and Megadeth mixed together... well considering that i've now listened Exodus for 10 minutes.
    Sanitarium91
    freedomdeceptiv
    The only thing I don't like is that you never even hear the bass.
    (from the top-most review) if u listen close enough, u can hear the bass but its really hard, even at a high volume... being a bass player, this has always been the one thing about most metal that i have never liked. the bass is alwys so low. Exodus is sum sick old school thrash tho but i disagree with putting them up there with metallica and megadeth... megadeth is way more technical. another great band is testament, anyone who likes this would definitely like testament.
    Silas S Thompso
    Sanitarium91 : But I think youre right about that this could've been as succesful as Megadeth or Metallica... or at least as succesful as Megadeth. This is musically even better than Megadeth... at least to me, and if Megadeth was founded by someone else than the ex Metallica member Mustaine, also if the album would've been released earlier, this could be even more popular than Megadeth. It still doesn't beat Metallica. Dave Mustaine's rep was ruined by being kicked out of metallica. People like you think that the only reason he is popular is because he was from Metallica. No one knows he wrote every riff and solo on Kill Em All. If you own no life till leather it is daves solos and riffs. NOT KIRKS. Also Megadeths' music is way more complex than exodus's. Exodus kick ass but Megadeth songs are more complex. Listen to Rattlehead, Looking Down the Cross, Good Mourning Black Friday, Mary Jane, In My darkest Hour.
    BobbyTheKing
    Exodus would maybe become just as popular as Metallica went if it wasn't for the drugs and other problems the band had. They were always mentioned as the new Metallica in the 80s, they were just as popular as Metallica was in Bay Area in 82-83. This is an classic, pure wonderful thrash. Love the lyrics on the record.