The Atrocity Exhibition: Exhibit A review by Exodus

• Released: Oct 23, 2007
  • Reviewer's score: 6.7 Neat
Exodus: The Atrocity Exhibition: Exhibit A

Andy Sneap is very quickly turning into the industry standard and the guy to go to for a big, heavy metal production. Thus, the production on this album is quite an oomph-fest. Everything about it absolutely reeks in-your-crushed-face-heavy, and it works wonders. It's a contemporary, modern production and it's sonically very similar to their previous release, "Shovel Headed Kill Machine." Sneap never seems to craft a poor production, and there is nothing to complain about in regards to the sound on this.

The tone for this album is set in the first line sung on the album - Rise up and revolt, overthrow the government. Good, now that's established, let's move on. It's political to the bone, some of the lines are insanely catchy, such as the dead no longer have a cross to bear, or the entire chorus to Children Of A Worthless God (no bonus points for guessing the topic on that one. In short, the lyrics deal with religion and political dissent. The lyrics are as stated, catchy as hell and given the chosen subjects, they pull it off damn well.

Here's the twist - anyone with their ear close to the scene has heard of Gary Holt's big promises regarding this being the album that'll redefine thrash as a genre and whatnot. Is this the case? No. Any album that's more or less pure thrash and contains songs closing in on 10 minutes should be looked upon with suspicion. For a song that long to work and not get dull, you need dynamics, which I'm afraid that this album lacks. All that being said - the album does get off to a kick-a-s start. The ominous intro leading into Riot Act is killer. I first dismissed Riot Act as a pretty dull thrasher upon hearing it on their MySpace, but within the context of the album, it works exactly as a thrash opener should - it beats your skull in. Funeral Hymn continues the riot (pun intended) with it's plucked/tapped intro and Dukes' vocals spewing dissent over anything and everyone. And then, after another song we reach the halfway mark track-wise, where things start to go south, and the formula is exhausted. The ideas simply sound too similar, or are stretched too far, and the necessary dynamics aren't present. Or when the ideas are there, they're not arranged in a good way. The album is nearly an hour long, and as far as I'm concerned, it's about 20-25 minutes too long. The closing five tracks aren't cringeworthy by any means, but do there's a distinct lack of interesting sections, leads, riffs and so on. As a whole - I'm afraid the album falls a bit flat on it's a-se.

freddaahh
    I actally thought it was a pretty solid thrash album. There are great riffs and the solos make most guitarists wallow in shame. I thought it was much better that SHKM. the lyrics are really interesting, too. The ten minute songs, too, Don't grow old. In my opinion, second best metal cd in 2007. The Blackening being no1.
    postmortem2006
    I heard this album on their MySpace page - its really good actually. A thousand times better than SHKM.
    cliffburton666
    everyone dissing on it, but this album has some of the best metal riffs i have herd in a while. i lot better then any of that faggoty hardcore shit or anything else that has came out lately
    MetalliKH-602
    Pus_Head
    MetalliKH-602 wrote: Sick album. BEdlam 1-2-3 gets a little long (20 minutes!!!) but its all good. Great to see bands keeping thrash alive, especially these guys and Warbringer.
    Bedlam 123 is only 6 minutes. The rest is slience until about 18 minutes where Bonded By Banjo comes in
    DWAUME
    Here's the twist -- anyone with their ear close to the scene has heard of Gary Holt's big promises regarding this being the album that'll redefine thrash as a genre and whatnot. Is this the case? No. Any album that's more or less pure thrash and contains songs closing in on 10 minutes should be looked upon with suspicion. First off, I didn't follow Exodus until this album, so I didn't know it was supposed to redefine thrash. Now I've heard a good deal of their catalog, and I still love Exhibit A. Perhaps the redefining of thrash has something to do with the ten minute songs. That, and I really don't want to call Exodus pure thrash... Metallica, Slayer, Anthrax, Megadeth... No extreme vocals. Yes, some of the songs do get a little long, but as the review stated, the lyrics are gold. Judging by your review, lyrics should get a 9 or 10. That, and you forgot the line "Beauty's in the eye of the beheaded on a pike" xD
    Spirit_Crusher
    i like it- not as good as Shovel or the majority of their older stuff, but it's still good stuff.
    Rize
    They seem to be running out of ideas. i hope they saved the better riffs for ...Exhibit B. most likely not though. they still can't top fabulous disaster or bonded by blood.
    #_of_the_beast
    postmortem2006 wrote: Children of a Worthless God = best song Exodus has written for around a decade. Period.
    Agreed
    Boooonnngggggg9
    Id say Riot Act, Funeral Hymm, Children of a Worthless God and Beldam 123 are the only reasons to get this album. Exodus our my favourite band but this cd wasnt amazing like there last two. At first I thought this album sucked, then I loved it, now I see it as alright. If you go back and listen to SHKM or TOTD then your see this album couldve been much better.
    Floppylopagus
    They had an awesome start on the album but the end was a little less. Solid 9 though and to me they did re-invent thrash at least a little. Nothing sounds quite like this album. Solid riffs just solid...
    Swamplord
    Freddaahh hit the spot. They do have sum killer beats on this album. Riot Act, Funeral Hymn, Children of a Worthless God and Iconoclasm are the best for sure. You definitely appreciate the music more when you try and tab it. And trust me, after tabbing funeral hymn you can only diss these guys if u can make the same quality stuff. Took quite some time! Tabbed riot act too. All hail Exodus! Now time for my departure.
    Tormedhammeren
    I mostly agree with freddaahh. It's a solid album. Nothing spectacular, like promised, but still a good effort. These guys are one of the few bands that have withstood the test of time. They have managed to revive the in-your-face attitude and crushing speed riffs that started the genre. Two thumbs up and all hail to Exodus, but I'd say a 7/10 to the album. Still, I'm looking forward to ...Exhibit B