Troops of Tomorrow review by The Exploited

• Released: Jan 1, 1982
The Exploited: Troops of Tomorrow

Most under-rated record I have ever had the pleasure listening to. The Exploited are one of the greatest punk bands (with exceptions of Black Flag and Dead Kennedys) and among the most inspirational bands. This album has the sound of great rock classics, only faster. Although, most of the tracks can sound repetitive, and the tracks after track 10, start to get a bit stale (at least for me). However there is still a great amount of diversity within this album, with great punk anthems, such as Jimmy Boyle, Alternative, (and one of my all time favourite songs of all time) Troops Of Tomorrow. The speed and intensity of The Exploited music can be either labelled punk rock, hardcore of even early trash metal.

The Exploited have also produced very bland lyrics, good for chants and what not, but they were always ahead of their time with their political opinions and rapid swearing (album was first released in 1982). Being one of the most politically out spoken bands of the '80s, Exploited did their best to bad mouth the then British government of Margaret Thatcher, and the American president, the "honourable" Regan. With that being said, most people would be offended by the lyrics, mainly track 5: USA, with its main verse of lyrics being F--k the USA. Combine that with the watery, Scottish yell of Wattie Buchan, the sound of the lyrics fit perfectly for punk rock.

This album will always be with me, if it were stolen, I would hunt the culprits down, because it is a very difficult album to find, (especially when it's the original album version). For anyone you has doubts about the state in which punk rock is now in (with idiot bands like Simple Plan, Chemical Romance and what not), listen to this record and pray to them as the true Gods of early '80s punk rock. They set the path for bands like The Casualties, Massive Attack, Queens Of The Stone Age, and even Slayer (who even did a cover of track number 8, UK '82).