How Strange Innocence review by Explosions in the Sky

• Released: Oct 11, 2005
Explosions in the Sky: How Strange Innocence

This album caught me off guard the first time I listened to it because the music was like nothing I'd ever heard before. The sound in general reminds me of someone literally painting an image in my head. Each of the songs is meant to represent a memory or emotion, and something that makes them stand out is the fact that they have no exact meaning. This album particularly is a little more amature then the band's other two, seeing as how it was their first album.

As an instrumental band, there are no lyrics in any of the songs, but this band has a way of turning a lack of lyrics and vocals into a huge strength. Without lyrics, the audience can connect with the music on a much more personal level because the songs can mean anything to anyone.

I can't say that it really sounds like anything else I've ever heard before. It is deffinately unique. The most impressive songs on the album in my opinion were 'Look Into The Air' and 'Magic Hours', both of which stir a sort of compelling energy within me. What I love about this album is how much I can feel the music. I really do lose myself in the music, and I can listen to the album over and over again for hours. If I did somehow manage to lose this album, I would most definately replace it, and I recomend it to just about everyone who asks.

FS01
    Explosions in the Sky are amazing, but Sigur Ros really started the genre and there my favorite band
    TySkby
    This is a really good album. However, I don't know if the reviewer knows enough about this type of music to be writing a review for it. The author seems as though (s)he is blown away by the complete uniqueness that this band has, that there are no others like it, when in fact this is just a small part of a whole collection of music. Some good bands to check out if you liked this: Godspeed You Black Emperor A Silver Mt. Zion
    barney18
    Dystiller
    thats exactly what i love about Explosions, all their stuff is so simple but so beautiful, I've yet to hear music like theirs before.
    themax101
    barney18 : I love how only at this site will such an amazing band get a user rating of 4.3, probably because they don't have finger-tapping solos, sweep picking, and/or Vai rip-offs. Explosions in the Sky put out such amazing records, but live, they are even more impressive. They put so much emotion in their music and the huge sounds they create combined with the light-hearted melodies just brings to mind the idea of one person lost in the world that seems to find his way. Its so damn beautiful.
    So True, i think its because the main view on "good" guitaring is the fact that you can play intricate stuff. The reality is, if the intricate stuff isn't as pleasing to the ear as simple stuff, its NOT good guitaring. Guitar is meant to make a sound pleasing to the ears, not to cause a bowel spasm.
    MattyB
    If you like these guys check out 65 days of static. I'm a recent listener to this type of genre but i never cared for lyrics anyway. It's all about the music for me