How Strange Innocence review by Explosions in the Sky

• Released: Oct 11, 2005
Explosions in the Sky: How Strange Innocence

This album is impressive from start to finish. The first time I heard them I was like I have to get their music. This was their first album and it shows when you listen to the others but this was also their first work I heard from them. The album starts with the slow rhythm "A Song For Our Fathers". Then kicks it up a bit in "Snow And Lights", then my favirite song on the album "Magic Hours", a very emotional song with a slow intro and moves up to a very climatic end. From there on the album slows down yet still keeps you in. "Remember Me As A Time Of Day" is definetly another must listen.

No lyrics. All instrumental. In my opinion the instruments do all the talking and seeing how the songs have no words, you can think of your own meanings for them. Example: you may be having something going on in your life and listening to the right song at the right moments will make you remember it for ever.

Overall just plain amazing. They have this simple and pure sound that attracts anyone. I love how simple the album is. I play in a band and I play guitar and I have to shread the guitar since our music is so fast pace and crazy but I wouldn't think twice if I had the chance to play with these guys. It's just how they make their music that's beautiful. I would definetly buy it again and again and again if it were stolen that many times.

the-love-bird
    FS01 wrote: Explosions in the Sky are amazing, but Sigur Ros really started the genre and there my favorite band
    Ok, Sigur Ros is pretty good but they definitly did not start the post-rock genre. Bands like Talk Talk, Slint and Tortise are alot closer to being the founders of post-rock than Sigur Ros is. Just to clear up the confusion. That being said, this music is definitly true from the heart even without word of mouth. Props to Explosions.
    incarnation
    This album would be so much better if the guitars were even the slightest bit in tune