Take Care, Take Care, Take Care review by Explosions in the Sky

• Released: Apr 18, 2011
Explosions in the Sky: Take Care, Take Care, Take Care

Every year, boys and girls around the world sit down in practice spaces and recording studios, armed to the teeth with pedals and romance, with the dream of recreating The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place' floating just below the surface of their consciousness. There are few more imitated sounds in the instrumental rock world than that of Explosion In The Sky's magnum opus, but we should count ourselves lucky that the band themselves have turned a blind eye to the relentless typecasting and to an extent treaded their own path. Take Care, Take Care, Take Care' is instantly identifiable by its handling of timbre and melody but the band's familiar framework has taken on a couple of new dents.

Firstly, sights and sounds if not practices from 2005 project The Rescue' have been adapted for the full length album here. Samples, percussion and even vocals extend the band's palette (particularly on the Lymbyc Systym-esque Human Qualities') and give the final product a touch of character without affecting the fundamental principles that dictate composition.

But they have, in some ways, been affected. The Texans' LPs are famous for their lengthy structures which swallow up, shelter and contain a core tune; once again the band's melodic development is minimal. Instead they keep things moving until the key moment is reached, and on that moment rests the success of the operation. On Take Care' however, this journeying is driven from the bottom, with drums and percussive electronics pushing higher in the mix and inviting the guitars to move away from their delicate speculation and into more indie rock territory.

Perhaps the best example of the band's intent is Trembling Hands', a rare short-form track which forgoes all the fuss that comes with building up and winding down by bravely laying out its stall within the first few seconds. Upbeat and direct, it takes the band in an almost new wave direction but ends in truly rousing (and truly Explosions) fashion thanks to its final crescendo. Despite a number of new influences and adjustments, the band's foundations still stand and the comfort zone is not abandoned completely see Postcard From 1952' for vintage Munaf Rayani.

As usual, Explosions In The Sky have little to no use for text, but in amongst the musical detail there are a few ooh's, aah's, oh's and mmm's, which add a different texture and, one might argue, a further parallel with the increasingly spacey and psychedelic landscape of modern indie.

What this album is perhaps lacking is a sense of occasion. Like The Rescue', it is unencumbered by the need to be chronically emotive, but unlike The Rescue', it was made over months, not days and Take Care' is just a little too pleasant a little too often. Even the big, bad closer Let Me Back In' stops at mildly sinister', but the lack of darkness does allow a little more room for playfulness and freedom, which these guys, now seasoned veterans, take advantage of with aplomb. A highly enjoyable listen, but if you'd prefer to be bogged down by introspective dialogue and great emotional weight for the duration, you'd be better off sticking to previous efforts.

!BEN!
    This album is great, of course its not as good as their best album, but why should it be? They've progressed as a band and arent just repeating the same things. I personally think you can tell the band has moved on musically, this album is very different to their older stuff but i think thats a good thing
    illuminatiano
    I thought the album deserved less than a 7.7, I'd prolly give it a 6.5/10... It's alright, but doesn't compare to their other albums.
    ApolloBSIV
    Nice review.. HAHAHA. How can you expect someone to enjoy your review, if they can't even make it halfway through each run-on sentence? Too many big words. People don't like that.
    Private Eye
    Saw them at Radio City Music Hall and they were phenomenal. I love this album. The Earth is Not a Cold Dead Place is still far and away their best but I was very pleased with this. One of my two favorite albums to come out this year so far (The King is Dead by Decemberists is the other). Last Known Surroundings gives me chills.
    dennis030
    I'm a fan of this band but this album dissapointed me. Well maybe because you can't measure the bands talent with studio recordings. Pretty sure these songs are pretty mind blowing if performed live. Anyways.. It's not their best record. Not their worst though.
    mark3777
    EpiExplorer wrote: Now that I've read this review, I know absolutely nothing about anything.
    guess I will have to listen for myself
    CrawlingHorror
    Thanks for turning me on to these guys. The above review is shite, but I decided to check them out on You Tube anyway and while I find their musicianship to be rather rudimentary, their feel for arranging, texture, expression and melody is very impressive. Not quite as much a "holy sh*t! What was that?" moment when I first heard Primus, for example, but nonetheless strong stuff.
    Hells.Mascot
    G0dzilla
    Yeah no kidding, this review sucks, i didn't learn a thing..
    Cannibal Koala
    Amuro Jay
    I liked it. Granted, I didn't like it as much as TEINACDP, and EITS are are behind GIAA in my book, but heck. I still liked it. The only tracks I'd listen to on their own without the rest of the album are the first one and Trembli.ng Hands. The rest I only listen to with the rest of the album
    MT_Obsidian
    BrokenDstring wrote: Hold on, lemme bust out my thick rimmed glasses and sit down my PBR. Ah yes...totally agree. This CD reminds me of their first EP they handed out to friends and family only....
    Win. +5
    Sam Wotrey
    Burning_Angel wrote: EITS = Boring There's way better post rock out there
    Go back to Whole Foods, hipster.
    Holoogamooga
    I'll definitely give it a listen, but I have always found EITS a bit less interesting than Russian Circles (whose last album sounded more like EITS to me), God is an Astronaut, and Maserati.
    Syhota
    I've not heard of the other two bands, but God Is An Astronaut to me are waaay more boring than EITS. Not that I dislike them, far from it, but I can't sit through one of their albums in a single sitting, whereas I can for EITS.
    BrokenDstring
    Burning_Angel wrote: EITS = Boring There's way better post rock out there
    Hold on, lemme bust out my thick rimmed glasses and sit down my PBR. Ah yes...totally agree. This CD reminds me of their first EP they handed out to friends and family only.... Seriously though, I cannot wait to finally pick this up. There is no good record store in my college town. WTF.
    Tarsplitter
    Burning_Angel wrote: EITS = Boring There's way better post rock out there
    EITS is way too mainstream, eh?
    a drummer
    Burning_Angel wrote: EITS = Boring There's way better post rock out there
    Post rock? Have to been to one of their shows?
    Disturbed_EMG
    I absolutely loved this album. There was one track on it I can't think of the name of, that I didn't like. Pretty sure it was Trembling Hands. Other than that, it was gold.