The Earth Is Not a Cold Dead Place review by Explosions in the Sky

• Released: Nov 4, 2003
Explosions in the Sky: The Earth Is Not a Cold Dead Place

Explosions In The Sky's music is one of a kind. Why is it one of a kind? Because they do not have a singer. Yes, you heard me right they do not have a singer, but they do have 3 guitarists (one of which plays bass), and a drummer. Their music is purely based on exotic guitar riffs that not only make you listen, they also paint a picture in your head. Their music reminds me of some classical symphony but of course not as long even though their songs can be as long as 11 minutes.

Like I said before Explosions In The Sky do not have a singer so they don't have lyrics but I like to think that they do. I think instead of having the traditional singer they use their guitars to do the singing or the storytelling for them, rather than have some out of tune emo singer/screamer to ruin the song. The guys' guitar skills are some of the best I've heard today, and they mix it with all kind of wacked out effects that they switch while their still playing a song. And all 3 guitars dont sound like they do not belong together because they do, every single note that they play on their guitars matches the music mood and style but they do sometimes change it up a bit so it isnt as boring.

This album does not even compare to some of the bands I've heard. But their probably are a few out their. It kinda seems like they put a little more effort on their record than other bands today. If you listen to their album from first song (First Breath After Coma) to the last song (Your Hand In Mine) it feels like your listening to one whole song and I like it. They also have lended their music to the "Friday Night Lights" soundtrack which I think was the perfect match for them since they are from Texas and the movie is about a football team in Texas. If this album (The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place) were stolen I would definatly buy it again, theres just too much to lose if the album were lost.