The Earth Is Not a Cold Dead Place review by Explosions in the Sky

• Released: Nov 4, 2003
Explosions in the Sky: The Earth Is Not a Cold Dead Place

The sound of the album draws heavily from post-rock influences, what those influences are I do not know. The sound of this album is intricate and blissfully melodic. Beautiful, clean, shimmering guitars and a certain sound set this album apart from similar artists, to put it simply when one of their songs comes on I know immediately that is an Explosions in the Sky song. I don't know so much about musical innovation; what they do isn't particularly original, but the way they do it is, very much so.

Well, I don't know how to say this, but there aren't any. And that's what I love about it. Many bands do this; heck, instrumental music has been around for decades, but what they play is a very modern variety, very much a sound for the 21st century. I think that lyrics and vocals would ruin the mood and tone of the music.

I think that I would place Explosions in the Sky in-between near symphonic Canadian band Godspeed You! Black Emperor and up-beat, insanely technical instrumental band Ghosts And Vodka, because sometimes you cannot tell whether the music is up-beat or slow, spacey and orchestral sounding. I love everything about this album, I love every track and I wouldn't change a thing. If it were lost or stolen, I would definately buy it again.

tfotguitarist
    How does not having a singer make you "one of a kind" clearly you don't listen to post rock, minimalist music, so don't right a review on it. however, the earth is not a cold dead place is one of the greatest cds ever made.
    mmm_watcha_say
    I love "Your Hand In Mine". It makes me really emotional everytime I listen to it because it reminds me so much of high school football and all the memories with it. These guys are a great band and have such powerful music. Instrumental stuff is a nice break from my normal listening too.
    mexican meese
    Possibly one of the greatest albums ever. It doesn't look like they will, I just hope they don't sell out with their beautiful and unique sound.