The Earth Is Not a Cold Dead Place review by Explosions in the Sky

• Released: Nov 4, 2003
Explosions in the Sky: The Earth Is Not a Cold Dead Place

This album holds the music that you should live your life to. It holds so much power and strength that it releases you into your own thoughts. Explosions In The Sky's music is inspirational past words, it evokes so much diverse emotion. It can be likened to how the ocean is described, an emotion enhancer. Whatever mood you are in the music from this album sets it alight to burn stronger within you. Songs like Your Hand In Mine', which have featured in films such as Friday Night Lights' have both slow moving parts and upbeat tempos offering the listeners so much in terms of resonance. I can only find one downfall to this album and that is that some of the songs sound very alike, but apart from this the album holds incredible, real music.

There are no lyrics. There is no need for the lyrics; some bands use their lyrics to bring to mind their message and to visualise emotion and passion for the people in their music. But Explosions In The Sky do this to perfection without lyrics. It is their music which conveys their message and passion. The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place is a perfect example of how instrumental bands should sound. I feel that if lyrics were put to their songs it would ruin the atmosphere that the songs create already. It would deprive the listeners of hearing the music and deprive the listeners the chance to interpret the music the way they feel it should be.

Explosions in the sky's album The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place is the most inspirational album that I have ever listened to. I love everything about this album, it holds so much emotion and passion that I have listened to this album so many times. The lack of lyrics in the album sets it apart from other bands that we hear today. Explosions In The Sky are an incredible band which have managed to bring so much passion into their music that makes them the most amazing instrumental band I have ever heard.

ParasiticTwins
    Probably the best album i own, that or 'Lift Your Skinny Fists...' by Godspeed You! Black Emperor. Just perfect in every way.
    sbriggs31
    One of the first albums that really got me into post-rock and instrumental music in general. Really beautiful stuff and I love watching Friday Night Lights and hearing their music going with it.