Those Who Tell The Truth Shall Die, Those Who Tell Review

Explosions in the Sky: Those Who Tell The Truth Shall Die, Those Who Tell
Release Date: Sep 4, 2001
Label: Temporary Residence
Genres: Post-Rock/Experimental
This is nothing short of awe-inspiring and one of the best records of 2001.
 9.2
 8.3
review (1) 3 comments vote for this album:
Those Who Tell The Truth Shall Die, Those Who Tell Reviewed by: draperyfalls, on april 11, 2006

Sound: Explosions In The Sky are quite possible the most beautiful guitar band in the world today. The music on this album varies between softly chiming chords bell like lead lines to colossal, epic walls of sound. A good example of this is the first track Greet Death, which starts slowly with ringing guitars that wash over the listener, taking you into explosions world from the first second. Then out of nowhere the guitars explode into a catchy melody and then die away. This is an album that must be listend through in one go, in fact once I hear the first track I don't want to listen to anything else. One interesting story attached to this record is that it was released on September 10, 2001 and in the album sleeve there is a line saying, "Tomorrow a plane will crash." The very next day the twin towers fell which gained Explosions some media attention. // 10

Lyrics: Explosions are an instrumental band and they really dont need a singer. End of story. They say all they want and need to say with just 2-3 guitars, drums and bass. There is however one tune, my favorite from the album, have you passed through this night, which makes use of a fantastic sample of an old man talking about pain or something. // 10

Overall Impression: This band make bands like GY!BE, Mogwai, Silver Mt. Zion look boring, in fact they crap all over them. They are the best "post-rock" band (an entirely meaningless term) and in my opinion only sigur ros come close. If you wanna buy an album by this band I would get either this one or how strange innocence, there is really nothing to choose between the two except this album has more loud bits. If I had to choose one song of this album to play someone it would be the last song as it has everything a good explosions song needs, fantastic buildup into a gorgeous climax. Basically this album is like sex, it starts off slow, builds up and then speeds up into an epic climax whereupon it fades away just leaving the sound of a single chiming guitar. Beautiful. // 10

Comments