Ten Years Of Abuse And Still Broke Review

Eyehategod: Ten Years Of Abuse And Still Broke
Released: May 29, 2001
Genre: Rock
Styles: Sludge Metal, Heavy Metal, Alternative Metal, Doom Metal
It collects the detritus ? and there's plenty of it ? from Eyehategod's hyper-negative first decade, and assembles it into a relatively coherent portrait of one ugly band.
 9.8
 9.6
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
Ten Years Of Abuse And Still Broke Reviewed by: dieiervonstn, on february 25, 2005

Sound: Eyehategod is a low-tuned, misanthropic, "I hate the world" band. They f--kin' rock. This is the first CD I heard by them, and it's also the rawest. That's mainly because the first 4 songs are demo tracks that are underproduced and gives it a more negative sound than the album versions. The best one is "Children Of God." The next 4 songs were recorded live on KXLU. Again, the songs sound rawer than the originals because of the production quality. My favorite song in this section is "Depress." The last 7 songs were recorded live in Europe. These are the best songs on the album. They catch Eyehategod in their prime. The best song here is "Lack Of Almost Everything." This collection of unreleased demos and live tracks is a great sampler to a great band. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are the most depressing thing since depression. They even have a song called "Depress," which rocks. The singer screams in a throat killing scream that shows his pain and hatred to the world. I don't really know what else to say about the lyrics except they are screamed throughout (especially on the live tracks), negative, and down right depressing. Not bad though. Sometimes you need negativity to make positive seem more positive. // 10

Overall Impression: I'm glad I got this collection of raw Eyehategod songs. I got it at a used record store for 5 bucks, which means someone didn't like it as much as I did. I'll never get rid of it. I was looking to buy an Eyehategod CD for awhile, and this is the first one I actually saw, and it was cheap, so I decided to check it out. I was blown away. In a way, the rawness adds to the beauty (or would it be ugliness?) of the band, because the band writes about raw subjects, and the music is heavy and low tuned. Eyehategod is the best sludge/doom-metal band I have heard. // 10

Comments