Broken Frames review by Eyes Set to Kill

• Released: Jun 8, 2010
Eyes Set to Kill: Broken Frames

For Eyes Set To Kill's latest album Broken Frames, producer Andrew Wade apparently pushed the band out of their usual comfort zone. Given the fact that the Phoenix band already was working with a new setup following the departure of former screamer/guitarist/keyboardist Brandon Anderson, it's always iffy how things might work out when you also add a new producer into the mix. But lo and behold, the new record Broken Frames does indeed seem like a more cohesive and in many ways more melodic offering than the band's past releases. The screaming-singing combo is still very much a key element to Eyes Set To Kill's sound, with the opening track "All You Ever Knew" proving to be one of the best uses of this style. Kicking off with an almost computer-like guitar line, the track is driven by screamed verses (now completed by Justin "Cisko" Denson) that transition into big, melodic choruses. In past songs the band has included excessive and unnecessary screams at certain points, but "All You Ever Knew" uses each of the vocal styles in logical sections. "The Listening" tends to be a bit all over the place, but the chorus is so memorable that the spastic arrangement is acceptable. The focal point once again is clean vocalist/guitarist Alexia Rodriguez, who now sings an octave higher. Her vocals are without a doubt the highlight of Broken Frames, with songs like "Two Letter Sins" conveying a soulful touch. The band deserves credit for not being afraid to let Rodriguez sing with a clean guitar for the sake of the song in "Ryan" and "Ticking Bombs," two tracks that set the screaming aside. Those songs are two of the best selections on the CD, primarily because they emphasize the band's ability to write killer melodies. That's not to say that lead guitarist Greg Kerwin's work doesn't make an impression elsewhere, however. Kerwin won't necessarily churn out the typical lead riffs, but his unusual, cyclical approach to lead work enhances the more aggressive tunes tenfold.

Broken Frames' lyrical content is driven by emotions through and through, and Rodriguez passionate-yet-angelic delivery works perfectly for the musical arrangements. There's nothing too out of the ordinary, but the band's key audience should be able to appreciate the themes. Whether it's overcoming obstacles and "breaking away from the situation" in "Inside The Eye" or playing off of the Twilight craze in "Escape" ("We'll fight off the darkness and pray for an escape"), Eyes Set To Kill's lyrics have a hip quality that will be appreciated by its fan base.

Melodically Eyes Set To Kill is at the top of its game, and one could argue that it's a result of new producer Andrew Wade and a new for lack of a better word screamer, Justin Denson. Kerwin's approach to the guitar is novel and doesn't stick to the usual riff-solo format, and that in itself makes for a refreshing change. It is, however, Alexia Rodriguez's amazing range and emotional delivery that steal the show in the end. The record finishes with what is essentially a ballad, "Let Me In," but allowing Rodriguez's vocals to take the forefront at the very end does make a lasting impression.

Reevo
    Reach and The World outside were much better i have to say. Alexia amped her singing up by a Octave, and it is really taking a toll on her voice, sorry but it sounds quite terrible, Darling was a much better show of her talent for singing.
    Deathlock257
    vascoa7x wrote: this band sucks
    oh yes they do!! they drove out at least 100 fans at the Louisville warped tour. Worst band there.
    haz_uk
    one of the most promising singers...? no, she can't sing. youtube told me this. i swear ug put up crap like this purely to incite flaming and hatred. maybe they're down on their banning quotas.
    ticklemeemo
    Offworld92 wrote: This band doesn't suck. There's a difference between a bad band and a band you don't like. I can't stand listening to Coldplay, or Metallica, which are two completely different bands, but they obviously don't suck, because they've both made 4 and 9 records, respectively, and have massive fan bases. Now this band has 3 records, and an ever growing fan base. It's true I don't like them nearly as much as I used to, and I don't like their new screamer at all, but they don't suck. Not trying to be a dick, just wish people would think before posting.
    No, this band really does suck. I don't have any clue why UG is calling this girl's voice "angelic" because her voice is far from sounding good. I can't stand to listen to them just because of her horrible singing.
    EpiExplorer
    jetfuel495 wrote: JohnnyApplecore wrote: All metalcore is pretty generic. Tee hee. I'm pointing and laughing at you, too.
    Angry kid is angry.
    Hexagram
    just listened to a couple of songs and I'm already going to say that I will hate their entire catalog of music
    BigBigWater
    1. 'All metalcore sucks/sounds the same' statements. - Have you listen to Protest the Hero, Between The Buried and Me, or The Human Abstract? 2. @metalxsymphony 'Gah, I had a long winded thing to say about this band. But I'll keep it short: generic, radio friendly, drenched in pop and by the output of albums yearly show only an interest in growing a fanbase and money. ' - Radio friendly? I don't normally hear post-hardcore of any kind on the radio, much rather the heavier side of it like this with harsh vocals throughout. As for my own opinion, they're not that great. They're not terrible, but the female vocalist is their quirk.
    Tapping_Ninja
    How's this band Generic again? And to be persice they are Post-Hardcore, not metalcore....
    huevos
    metalxsymphony wrote: SchecterC-1+Man wrote: They suck in the sense of originality, IMO. They just seem like another metalcore band, but with a pretty decent girl singer. Again, potential, but I don't think they've found it yet. Plus her voice annoys me in a couple of the choruses, what with her singing an octave higher than on the other albums...sounds a bit forced or something sometimes. Gah, I had a long winded thing to say about this band. But I'll keep it short: generic, radio friendly, drenched in pop and by the output of albums yearly show only an interest in growing a fanbase and money. Not negative, or positive, just, thats who they are, and they don't need to create a unique sound. They know what they want, and they won't let a thing like originality get in the spokes of their musical career.
    As true as that is, it still really irks me that this is the way things work in the music biz. When you think about it though, these status quo enforcing bands are necessary for the risky bands to make a contrast. If there was no division, what we think of as original in this world, would all run together and sound bland in terms of hypothetical world where literally every band sounded "original". So be more mindful of the stuff that is mediocre. This is what happens when you allow the masses to have their way.
    Megalomaniac46
    Alright, we get it, a lot of people think metalcore is generic and whatnot. That doesn't mean you have to come in here and give albums a 1 rating. If it's not you're style why waste your time commenting/rating?
    Amuro Jay
    JohnnyApplecore wrote: All metalcore is pretty generic.
    Tee hee. I'm pointing and laughing at you, too.
    SchecterC-1+Man
    JohnnyApplecore wrote: Sam Rulez D00d wrote: vascoa7x wrote: this band sucks then why would u look up the review? Because it's on the front page. All metalcore is pretty generic. Brian Posehn hit the nail on the head. The vocalist isn't bad though, but her potential seems a bit wasted.
    All of it? Lolwut And at metalxsymphony- I guess so. Standing out isn't a major point of concern for them, so it really doesn't matter, then, if they're truly original. They're just riding the metalcore wave, and if that's what they want, fine. They don't make BAD metalcore, just stuff that we've heard before... Not really a point to this post. Whatevs lol
    JohnnyApplecore
    metalxsymphony
    tomsawyer67
    dude i love this band, great post-hardcore! the new album is a LOT heavier than older stuff, i would describe it as inhaleexhale mixed with flyleaf. i love this band and am buyin the whole album soon. anybody kno any more hardcore girl screaming bands?
    Amuro Jay
    Tarsplitter wrote: Man, I came to this review 'cause of the amazing album cover. Then I read: "metalcore". Yikes!
    Tee hee. I'm pointing and laughing at you. I do love me some post-hardcore, so I may check this out.
    SchecterC-1+Man
    Tarsplitter
    bangwon
    Humanity is losing it's quantity of respect. Just throwin' that out there.
    Offworld92
    rebornmaster9
    i must say, i listened to the whole album recently, it wasn't that bad, i think they need brandon back though