Reach review by Eyes Set to Kill

• Released: Feb 19, 2008
  • Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Eyes Set to Kill: Reach

Fueled by its strong presence on MySpace, Eyes Set To Kill makes it apparent on the new album Reach why the group has attracted such fanfare. There are a lot of great elements within the quintet, with the focal point being vocalist/guitarist Alexia Rodriguez. But for as strong as Rodriguez is, Eyes Set To Kill insists on being screamo and that aspect ends up being unnecessarily distracting at times. For as many screams or distorted guitars that the band writes in it's songs, it is still Rodriguez that is the driving force with her unexpectedly sweet, yet strong vocal style. Reach starts out very strong with the instrumental Intro, which sounds like a classical piano piece with a twist. Rather than it just being a straight piano, the guitars follow the same style as the piano and it ends up being a beautifully arranged orchestration. It immediately sets a mood, and more importantly, it makes a nice contrast to the next track aptly titled Song 2 (no relation to the Blur hit). While the opening sections of Song 2 are pretty much just power chords, there is a fantastic breakdown later on that feels like it could be part 2 of Intro. The album is filled with very cool melodies, but there are just too many times when solid tracks get saturated by keyboardist/vocalist Brandon Anderson's screaming. The worst offender is actually Song 2, which would otherwise be a great song. On that particular track, Eyes Set To Kill seems to think every melodic line from Rodriguez needs to be repeated word for word by screaming Anderson. They do get it right in Darling, which you could classify as one of the more metal songs on the album. In that particular case, the screams fit in perfectly and work well with the underlying melody. Alexia Rodriguez and Greg Kerwin deserve to be noticed for their dual guitar work on the album, which is at it's best on tracks like Behind These Eyes. Granted, there are a lot of bands who have resurrected the classic Maiden sound and Eyes Set To Kill might not rank among the best, but Rodriguez and Kerwin do have some impressive moments.

Apparently Alexia Rodriguez is responsible for most of the lyrics on Reach, and they are effective for the most part. You get songs about such topics as divorce or staying to yourself in the music world, and of course a few relationship-themed songs along the way. You get a taste of everything, with a song like Young Blood Spills Tonight bouncing between romantic and downright angry.

There are plenty of positives about Reach, and Eyes Set To Kill shouldn't have any trouble attracting an even larger audience (with or without MySpace). The main issue is that the vocals of Rodriguez are strong enough to stand on their own and are interrupted way too many times by Anderson's screams. I read that they wanted to put their own unique mark on the screamo sound, but the band's approach honestly doesn't seem to be too far from what other bands have done in the past. There are a few songs on the album that feature screaming in appropriate, anger-driven parts, and it's in those moments when it feels like there was a little more thought put into the songwriting.

iwillrockyou22
    this is a very good band....also check out their first album 'when silence is broken the night is torn' very awesome music. i hate screamo music but this stuff is good
    ExplorerFreak
    The Spoon wrote: I met a girl who was the firend of their former singer! So eat that explorer freak! i might check it out. some songs are okay, but when you start listening to progressive rock, then everything just seems inferior
    I was really sad when they let her go. But, Alexia fills the parts really well. Anissa is my favorite of the whole bunch. Really nice and really cute. She is still in high school you know. She does it online as they tour.
    soadrocker856
    WHAT THE HELL!? Eyes Set to Kill on the UG front page? Holy shit! I only saw them as a high school band being they play at the school's Battle of the Bands for as long as I remember. Awesome to know that there are kids from my school on the front page of UG. Too bad I don't like them.
    Bristlehead
    neat that they're close to high-school age, gives me hope. too bad they're really bad
    Bristlehead
    ...and it's not that easy to open up for a band that isn't well-known. actually now that I remember it my band had a show scheduled to play with these guys but it ended up getting canceled.
    brandonr116
    i find brandons scream to be a great touch and he helps get alexia's message across to the fans througha different aspect.....
    convictionless
    these guys are really awsome, i was listning to them when they had there original singer, she left and now the girl guitarist alexia is singing. there a really really good band, i listen to melodic death metal and darker metals, and i still listen to these guys. there great and im happy to see them on here.
    Exalteth
    I just finished checking them out and the music is to cliche.Her voice though, is amazing!The music wouldn't be all so bad if it weren't for that idiotic male singer. I'd listen just for her voice.
    Surveyor
    "i might check it out. some songs are okay, but when you start listening to progressive rock, then everything just seems inferior " Very True. "screamo...very original genre..." Not so true. At all. The review is credible, although understandably slanted. After all, the superiority of melody to cacophony should be common sense.
    the_burning_one
    haz_uk wrote: this band is absolutely horrible. bunch of emo kids who've jumped on the paramore bandwagon, pretended to be a bit more "core" and shoved in some twat who jumps about and screams. i really hope the myspace age dies off sometime soon.
    +100000
    MidnightSonata
    I looked them up and I rather enjoy them. Her voice is so sweet, but I think I agree with the fact that his screaming is a bit unnecessary at times. Otherwise they're really good.
    jmjx803
    i found them about a year ago on myspace. they have some nice tunes. andd they're bass player is really hot. =]
    prog_gtrboy12
    Alot of people talk crap about them, but they're really cool people.I played a show with them once, and although they're not the greatest musicians,haahha, they really make things work on stage.
    pips
    dude this band is incredible!!!!! i love the style with a chick vocalist and a dude screamer....which both sound incredible!!!! my fav song of theirs is VIOLENT KISS
    SL!!!
    theimmortal1
    seen 'em in concert opening for Papa Roach. Great stage presence and decent music. you should check them out and see if it's for you.
    Coulterboyz
    red157 wrote: Sorry, I read the word 'screamo' and my hand slipped and voted 1. It's a reflex.
    LMFAO nice. Gonna check these guys out, but probably wont like them. Might just get the intro...
    red157
    Buzz Saw
    hey explorer freak quit name dropping you pussy and make you own band
    ctb
    I recognise their logo. :p Found them randomly on MySpace a while back; they are actually awesome.
    mdrguitar
    My band has played with them twice throught the past year. They are awesome musicians and great people and I really respect what they do. You should definitly check them out on myspace.
    C&C Magik
    Buzz Saw wrote: hey explorer freak quit name dropping you pussy and make you own band
    Holy crap dude.. calm down. He was just trying to make a simple and interesting statement. It was even relevant to the topic. No need to be a douche. I have to maybe look into these guys if the melodies are good.
    Blash
    LMFAO They sound pretty good, I'll go check them out later.
    nezv6
    Good review. Ive been listening to these guys for a while on myspace. I just hope the album gets a UK release eventually.
    The Spoon
    devinbryndel
    lordofthefood1
    I like the girl's voice The guy's screams, however, are horrible. The songs all kind of sound the same...
    Killingthecat69
    i liked these guys before. i haven't heard their new album. i've listened to songs like pure white lace and liar in the glass and whatnot. i like those songs actually.
    thebloodislove
    Ugh... Friend dragged me to see them at some old chinese buffet venue. Front guitarist had exceptional playing skills, but as the reviewer said, the screaming was overly distracting. Plus, their songs all seem very similar.
    haz_uk
    ExplorerFreak
    That's pretty funny. Jealous?
    devinbryndel
    SL!!! wrote: devinbryndel wrote: screamo! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA this is not screamo at all! check THE REAL SCREAMO THREAD in the pop punk/emo forums....Thank you. I was just about to say, this is NOT screamo. I hate that a good and very original genre has to be associated with trendrock shit like this.
    half the ppl dont know what the fck screamo is anyway! if u mention envy, orchic, funeral diner, and saetia they scratch their heads..lammmee