The World Outside review by Eyes Set to Kill

• Released: Jun 2, 2009
Eyes Set to Kill: The World Outside

Eyes Set To Kill, the Arizona-based metalcore band that originally earned a monstrous following via MySpace (even earning the title of #1 unsigned band on MySpace for several months), is likely to keep the momentum going with its latest record. While plenty of bands wait two and three years before releasing a follow-up album, Eyes Set To Kill is back with a new 12-track CD a little only a year after their popular debut Reach hit the shelves. The follow-up release, The World Outsid, picks up pretty seamlessly where the band left off. There does seem to be somewhat of a decrease in the amount of screamed vocals on the whole, but it's not by much. When it comes down to it, if you like the debut record, you'll likely enjoy The World Outside. It's true that sisters Alexia and Anissa Rodriguez founded the band and could easily steal the spotlight because of their general cute factor, but Eyes Set To Kill is still very much a group effort. Alexia's lead vocals are certainly a focal point, but the instrumentation doesn't necessarily get overshadowed in the process. Greg Kerwin's lead guitar work does drive the songs in many instances, with tracks like Heights, Hourglass, and The March of the Dead featuring creative riff work throughout. If you're not a fan of screaming, The World of Outside won't be your cup of tea. While Alexia does carry the majority of the vocal parts, Brandon Anderson and his high-pitched screams still alternate a good deal of the time. In tracks like The Hollow Pt. 2, Anderson's unique delivery is the perfect style to go with the grooving, gritty guitar lines. As was the case with the first record, there are still a lot of moments that get weighed down by the screams, but Eyes Set To Kill has plenty of fans who probably think the band could go even further with the aggressive side. For as many metal-oriented songs on The World Outside, there is a good helping of mellower moments many of which are full-on ballads. The band made the extremely smart move of distributing the slower, piano-driven songs pretty evenly throughout the record. In one moment you'll hear distortion-fueled songs like Hourglass, and in the next, a piano instrumental like Interlude. The band also included a few more radio-friendly tracks (The World Outside and Come Home) that are essentially all about Alexia. The screams take a backseat on those tracks, and you could actually hear either one of those on the Billboard pop charts. Depending on your perspective, that could be a very good or very bad thing.

The band has been quoted as saying that The World Outside is a lot darker, and that is fairly accurate in terms of the lyrical content. The topics range from personal introspection in The Hollow (I crave the day the curse releases me from all my rage; I seek a remedy) to more worldly concerns in March of the Dead (The dead is in the march; They're soldiers in the dark; They mourn the living; Regret our sinning). Through it all, there is almost a poetic sensibility, and the lyrical content is actually a strong driving force of the CD.

Eyes Set To Kill stayed within their comfort zone musically speaking this time around, but there is a bit more focus on their pop-rock oriented side. That's not to say that there aren't some extremely heavy songs because the band does deliver in this area on many tracks. Eyes Set To Kill has emphasized Alexia's singing this time around, and in many instances that means letting her belt it out with just a piano backing her up. In the end it makes for a nice contrast against the harder material, although there are some fans who might be slightly worried the band is getting a little too cozy with a pop-rock sound.

decayingdave
    Sam Rulez D00d
    I love this album. i think my favorite song is hourglass. and i love the guitar on this one. its really sick. also, i think its cool how they have craig mabbit on vocals in deadly weapons. the only song i dont like is come home.
    efferus
    jetfuel495 wrote: Vedicardi wrote: anything with girls on lead vocals is generally terrible because the band focuses so much on it and selling it.I dunno, man. Ever heard of Luna Mortis?
    Not bad dude...I was just reading an interview with the lead singer of Luna Mortis two days ago stating she believes not all chick-fronted bands are gimmicky. I can clearly see why she was taking that stance with her own group.
    huevos
    Pingis_Or_Death wrote: Those girls on the front page look like traps.
    Yeah, those pronounced jawlines and cheeks are a little manish. I would still **** them like a heart attack...wait a minute... Musically, ESTK is mediocre-core at best. The one thing they do have in their favor are the catchy hooks placed here and there. And I haven't heard many, if any, chugging breakdowns. That puts them ahead of the pack.
    TromboneThunder
    Hmm... from the little I've heard, basically Bullet For My Valentine-style emo-metal. Wouldn't really call it metalcore. Except in this case, instead of an entire band of guys with straightened black hair and too many piercings, there are two moderately hot chicks. Hate to say it, but sounds like the novelty is what made the band instead of the music. Not to say that the music's bad; it's pretty decent.
    sewoo55
    lazy town wrote: they sound like a hardcore version of paramore
    oh godamit when is it going to stop
    ioAK47oi
    kool. glad they got another albumn coming out! thought they were a post-hardcore band, not metalcore???
    Sam Rulez D00d
    decayingdave wrote: They sound about as original as a children's version of a beatles song, and every bit as lame as a donkey that once took a gentle stroll in a bosnian playground. In simple terms, if I had the choice of listening to these OR be forced to listen to the ''mr. hankey the christmas poo'' song, tied up in an oven, for 35 years - Then I'd be all for the christmas poo, anyday. ...or I could have just said, YOU SUCK!
    d00d. chill out. and anyone who takes the time into thinking about a really long and pathetic review for this band is a total douche bag. or i couldve just said: decayingdave, YOU SUCK!
    Friendly Stoat
    Why so much hatred towards this band just because they have a female singer? They're just like any other post-hardcore/metalcore band otherwise... :s oh well. I think this is a great album, but not quite as good as Reach, purely because of Brandon's vocals - still good, just not as powerful as before.
    fetus989
    I saw them live and almost hooked up with the bassist. They were incredible. And so was she.
    lazy town
    sewoo55 wrote: lazy town wrote: they sound like a hardcore version of paramore oh godamit when is it going to stop
    uhh did i miss something?
    XxDre09xX
    hmm just gave this band a chance and listened to uh... bitter pill and liar in the glass, liar in the glass gets me hype!!
    Brave Moonlight
    I saw them live the other week, but I just stood in the back acting cvlt. I didn't realize it was them.
    Amuro Jay
    I dunno, man. Ever heard of Luna Mortis?
    Ian (FTN)
    I personally Like Reach a lot more. I don't like Brandon's screams anymore on here. They changed, and in the beginning of heights they sound absolutely terrible, but everything else is good. Reach is more my cup of tea.
    GerGuam
    About 4-5 years ago my friend would always tell me how terrible this bands music was but how hot the singer was. Kinda funny seeing them get big now remembering that.
    JFfan92
    Sweet band, saw them live and all were willing to hang out for a bit before the show. Didn't get to hear their second album though.
    ChemyVamp
    lazy town wrote: they sound like a hardcore version of paramore
    oh shi here we go again
    GrayFoxz
    Altoidwithmelon wrote: they are great live..I really enjoyed em
    yeah. im sure u did. ^.~
    Kyle|777|
    personally i liked Reach a little more, but there's nothing truly wrong with this one. it's still really good.
    hatchetman515
    this is really there third album because they got "When The Silence Is Broken, The Night Is Torn", "Reach", and now "The World Outside" i LOVE ESTK!!!
    hatchetman515
    and people never give recognition to the first one i know its not as hard as the second and third ones but it still kicks some serious ass
    Vedicardi
    Reevo
    To me this band is pretty amazing, i was introduced to them from a mate playing darling on his phone, since then ive been hooked. I got both albums and although this one is deeper and darker, it love it. Im certainly not emo, and the band always seems to get judged from their look and style. Just because you scream or sing with a sad style dont mean its about killing youself, harming, etc etc (unlike some bands that i wont name). The comment about them being a harcore version of paramore made me laugh too, i think its a cross between Paramore with Bassist Jordan Chase from Stutterfly lol. Anyway, if you get the chance, give this band a listen, they are great at what they do, and create wicked songs that actually provide an insight into their lifes (e.g. Come Home being about Alexias father leaving her when she was... 8 i believe). Fav tracks have to be Come Home, Heights, The Hollow, Deadly Weapons, and March Of the Dead.