The Real Thing review by Faith No More

• Released: Jul 16, 1989
Faith No More: The Real Thing

Faith No More, Rage Against The Machine and the Red Hot Chili Peppers pretty much invented what is today known as Funk Metal. There are few albums giving a better definition of this genre than this 1989 release by FNM. FNM's sound combines a lot of different elements, and all of the members are great musicians, which makes listening to it a great experience. Though interestingly, they also have a dedicated (and damn talented) keyboardist, which features strongly on a few of the tracks, including the massive hit "Epic", which got into the Billboard top.

Like most Funk Metal lyrics, the ones heard on The Real Thing are mostly fairly straightforward. Generally the lyrics themselves take a backseat to Mike Patton's delivery, which usually complements the funky rhythms coming from the Bass & Drums. Which means that although Mike Patton is no Jim Morrison lyrically, he does what he does very well, and it works great with the music.

The closest comparisons to Faith No More's sound would be their Funk Metal contemporaries, the Red Hot Chili Peppers (mainly their mid-late '80s releases) and Rage Against The Machine. But FNM's sound is original enough that even if you aren't a major fan of the other 2 acts, The Real Thing is still well worth checking out. Personally, I love this album. Although the sound doesn't vary too much over the whole track, it still stays fresh enough to keep the listener interested. My personal favourites are "Epic", "Falling To Pieces" and "Zombie Eaters". Though there are great tracks spread all over the place, which makes listening to the whole album through a better experience than many other albums. The Album also contains a reworking of the Black Sabbath classic "War Pigs", giving the track a proper Funk Metal treatment. If this album was stolen or lost, I would sure as hell get a new copy (maybe after looking for it). It's an interesting listen, and something I like to keep near my stereo all the time.

metalneck
    What are the chances of a reunion? Probably never, but they were awesome.
    GuitarGod610
    RHCP helped invent funk metal? I don't think so. They're just a poppier version of Tower of Power, the greatest funk band ever, rather than a rock band that incorporates funk elements (RHCP). Anyways, this is one my favorite Faith No More albums. King For a Day is my personal favorite, but this album is right up there with it.
    sambargun
    Another funk metal band that never got the attention it deserved was Extreme. They were perhaps the most 'metal' of the lot, and undoutebly, they had one of the best guitarists and vocalists and a superb rhythm section. that is not to take anything away from FNM, just thought I'd mention.....