Falconer review by Falconer

• Released: May 8, 2001
Falconer: Falconer

This is the first album released by Falconer, a swedish power metal band. It doesn't really sound like most power metal I've heard though, and that's why I like it! There are a few more traditional Power metal blast-beat fast riffage songs, such as Royal Galley and Wings Of Serenity. They do mix it up with a bit of midieval instrumentation though (Acoustic Guitars, native drums, and tambourine) on songs such as Quest For The Crown. My personal favourite song on this Album would be Wings Of Serenity, which has a very powerfull chorus. Although the songs are all quite good, the sound is a bit rough.

Usual power metal stuff. Quests and Fantasy, in all it's glory. Falconer doesn't seem to be too cheesy on this album though, but songs like Lord of the Blacksmiths do offer some pretty cheesetastic lyrics. It's all in good fun though, and Stefan is a pretty talented writer. As for the singing, Mathias Blad is one of my favourite singers of all time. He participates in quite a few musicals in Sweden, so he is well trained.

This is a great change of pace from the usual power metal albums, because it does slow things down a bit every now and then. Something a lot of bands in this genre neglect. I love how this band can sound legitimitly mideival, due in part to Mathias' voice as well as the instrumentation. A deffinite highlight of this album is the song Wings Of Serenity, as well as Lord Of The Blacksmiths. I am not a fan of the song Upon The Grave Of Guilt, however. The rest are all quite good. If it were stolen, I would buy it again in an instant (as well as the rest of their Discography)

Tubyboulin
    Nobody checks these reviews for multiple posts anymore, CCs? *cough* Opeth *cough* Anyways, The album only has 10 tracks, Unless the japanese release had a bonus? Thought i'd point that out, I was just confused when I read it
    philwhite
    This is probably my favorite Falconer album. I like track 2 heresy in disguise. If you look through their lyrics they do have a few songs about faries and rainbows.
    this is good but mithotyn was alot better wish they wouldve kept that up
    opeth703
    Its good but mithotyn was way better wish stefan would have kept that up
    this is good but mithotyn was alot better wish they wouldve kept that up