From Under the Cork Tree review by Fall Out Boy

• Released: May 3, 2005
Fall Out Boy: From Under the Cork Tree

Fall Out Boy's sound is generally unique and one of a kind, although some emo/punk bands tend to share a few words and forms of phrases in a few of their songs, although they are pop/rock/punk. How the album's title was created is pretty neat, since it isn't just one of their songs off the record that is used as a title. It's a title of a story that Pete Wentz (the bassist) of the band favoured. From Under The Cork Tree, which is a story about a bull who chose to sit under the cork tree and sniff flowers rather than going into the arena and bull fighting, which shows that the moral of the story is to never listen to what other people think about you, and just go ahead and be yourself, no matter what anyone disapproves of. The lead singer (Patrick Stump) has an awesome new style of singing, although he's not the best singer in the world. Low notes are not really the easiest to sing, but he pulled them off quite well, and the high notes that he reaches sound really smooth and good. Although the album is overall pretty good, it sort of in a way irritates me when I listen to it for the hundredth time, since I know what to expect, and the songs seem all drab and boring. Their debut CD Take This To Your Grave, like many others say, is much better than their follow-up.

The lyrics. Wow, what can I say? That Pete Wentz has mean writing skills. They're so full of power, inspiration, depth, soul. They're so meaningful, and emotional, although they definitely reject the comments that they are emocore music, even though their lyrics might be. The combination of the lyrics with the music is pretty well done, since the soft 'pop-ish' tunes have jumpy lyrics, about how 'they' love one girl, and how to get her to love them back, and etc, etc. Example 'Sugar We're Goin' Down.' Like I said, the singer is unique and has his own sound, his own 'thing.' That's what I love about bands/artists. Their own unique ability to become their own person.

I wouldn't really compare this album or this band in general, to other albums/artists, so this band has it really going for them. The most impressive songs from the album are Nobody Puts Baby In Corner (even though I prefer the acoustic), I Slept With Someone From Fall Out Boy And All I Got Was This Stupid Song Written About Me, XO.