From Under the Cork Tree review by Fall Out Boy

• Released: May 3, 2005
Fall Out Boy: From Under the Cork Tree

The first time I heard the name I thought of the Simpsons (my favorite show). This was about a year and a half ago. The first time I heard one of their songs I said "This is terrible!" The whole pop-punk musical wave that seemed to sweep the nation right after the whole "nu-metal" idea died disgusts me. It's mindless, thoughtless, ridiculously always face paced, whiny garbage. That's my opinion. So I never thought twice of Fall Out Boy. I'm driving home from work one day and I hear this punkish sounding band singing that song that I have no idea what he is saying because it sounds like a weird tonge-twister riddle or something, but I was it worked. And I came to the conclusion that I really liked this song. I didn't know why, this isn't the style of music I am into. But nontheless I really enjoyed it. I finally found out it was Fall Out Boy and I was like "Oh, no, what's wrong with me?" after hearing a couple of their older songs. I then heard Dance, Dance on the radio and had no clue who it was by for a few months and really liked that song. Once I found out I realized that this is a band, and this is a band that really gew. I had to buy their CD. That was it, I am hooked. I love this band. I even looked into some of their older stuff and there are a few good songs but this album, "From Under The Cork Tree" is full of a lot of great, original, yet familiar sounds that I haven't heard from any band since Breaking Benjamin or Crossfade.

I've read many reviews on the lyrics of Fall Out Boy. Some say they are creative, some say they are ridiculous. They are witty, angry, catchy, and honest. Which in the end makes them unforgettable, which makes them great lyrics. There's a difference between writing lyrics and writing poetry. They are not poets. But they are amazing lyricists. I've been reading peoples silly quotes on the internet by them for months now, not knowing until I bought the CD that they were from this band. As for the singer's voice, he can sing, there is no doubt about it. He isn't an amazing vocalist but he's usually in key (there are a couple points that bother me) and is just relatabled. He sings every word in a way that makes you understand the way he feels even more than just by his clever words.

Overall this is a great album. My only problem with the whole album except for "Sugar, We're Goin' Down," all the songs have terrible endings. But I am able to get past that. The highlights of the album are of course the two singles "Sugar, We're Goin' Down" and "Dance, Dance" but once you hear those songs 2, 394 times on the radio in one months you're going to want to check out these songs. "Nobody Puts Baby In The Corner," "7 Minutes In Heaven...," "I Slept With Someone In Fall Out Boy..." and "XO." The whole album is very well produced and mixed and if I read one more review where they bash the guitars on this album I'm going to murder them. Listen closely, there is some talented and creative guitar-work here. Even the parts with just power-chords (which by the way have been used in all forms of rock forever to those who say people who use them have no talent) are sometimes played in a difficult and creative rythm. I would definetely recommend this CD to anyone who enjoys rock music. And if you're into heavier stuff just keep an open mind when listening. This is a great CD!