From Under the Cork Tree review by Fall Out Boy

• Released: May 3, 2005
  • Reviewer's score: 6 Neat
Fall Out Boy: From Under the Cork Tree

I really am not a die hard fan of FOB, & if you read the comments below I even made some negative comments about this band. But I've had a change of light & decided to make this review anyway. I mean, I did buy the album. The music of FOB is typical punk-emo. With a little bit of screaming mixed in. They also have some incredibly catchy song. Songs that just make you want to jump around your room like crazy. Songs like Dance, Dance, Of All The Gin Joints In The World & Sugar We're Goin Down. Which is what I think made them famous in the 1st place. The way they made the songs is quite interesting. Wentz would write the lyrics, & Stump would write music to compliment that. I think that they really broke new ground with this album. Since I have never heard their kind of music before. But that alone didn't convert me into a FOB fan. FOB also seem to have a fetish for ridiculously long song titles. Most of which have no connection what'soever with the song itself.

Even though I know that the FOB boys have deep meaning for their lyrics, it just doesn't work for me. I can't understand anything that Patrick's singing. But from what I can hear & read, I think that FOB has an obsession with sex. Since almost, if not, all of their lyrics have a reference or metaphor concering sex. Well, the lyrics go well with the music, I guess. In songs like Dance, Dance, the song just makes you wanna Dance. And since most of the lyrics don't make sense, the music that is applied to it sometimes sound a bit confusing. But Patrick's voice makes up for all of this. He has big range in his voice. He can hit high notes as well as sing in bass.

Well, I'd like to write my impressions on the songs, but the song titles are just too freaking long! In my opinion, there are better punk bands out there. Although I'm not a punk fan myself, I've heard bands like Blink 182, Simple Plan & Good Charlotte. And in my opinion these are much better bands. But this is due mostly to the fact that I'm also not an emo fan. The best songs would have to be Dance, Dance, Of All The Gin Joints In The World & Sugar We're Goin Down. The only thing that I liked about this album was the fact that it had a few catchy songs. But what I hate about it is that the rest are just confusing. If this were stolen, I wouldn't buy it again. But on the other hand, I wouldn't buy any CD twice anyway. Good CD, but just not something that I like.

pfricky98
    i really don't like this band. they cancelled a concert i was going to so they could be on TRL. what a bunch of losers. they really don't care about music they care about money.
    bassist_j_666
    Dragonforce? isnt this a Fall Out Boy review page? =/ besides they're power metal, and are very talented, no-one can deny Herman Li's skill. as for FOB i liked them for a phase then kinda went off them. i really like Panic, my favourite band, and before anyone says so . . . they sound nothing alike =/ FOB are OK! =P
    Zell182
    Hey FalloutboyX It's easy to sound like fall out boy. Look at Panic! at the disco but fall out boy are way better. Panic! sounds all the same but its ok.
    iquitmyscene13
    There's no such thing as pop-punk. It's either pop, or it's punk. Punk started as a musical approach to political standpoints. Now, 99% of punk "musicians" suck at their political opinions, but that's not the point. Fall Out Boy instead sucks. I love how all of you Fall Out Boy fans tell people who don't like them "well they dont care about you!" They don't care about you either. They're in it for the money now, and they sacrificed all of their original fans so they could be on MTV. It's a shame to see someone sell out like that. Oh yeah, and since when did a fan base consist of idiots who think a band member is "hot"? Music isn't about what the band looks like, it's about talent and musicianship. Do any of you even know who Fall Out Boy is? It was a character from the Simpsons. Yeah look, they even have an original name! You naive kids need to listen to better music.
    B2daR2daA2daD
    I will say its catchy as hell, but while at warped (when i liked them) i left after the 2nd song, which was Sugar were going down, it was a terrible performance and i heard from others who have seen the live that they suck.. they just drink and smoke and get paid to suck.
    punk_isntemo12
    fall out boy rock! i loved the song "I Slept With Someone From Fall Out Boy And All I Got Was This Song Written About Me". and to all those people who are going on about "listening to more mature music", f*** you!! personally, i think you 'mature' people are being as immature as us 'immature' people by telling us that we are immature. and i wish people would stop searching for reviews and tabs and stuff for bands they dont even like just to abuse them and theyr fans. now thats immature.