From Under the Cork Tree review by Fall Out Boy

• Released: May 3, 2005
  • Reviewer's score: 5.7 Decent
Fall Out Boy: From Under the Cork Tree

The band definetly has a different sound than many bands out there. I don't really know much about the band. I think the band tried to be too mainstream in this record. Each song could easily be a hit song, because that is what would appeal to the majority of the population.

I think the lyrics are too blunt and just too easy and plain to figure out. There isn't an underlying meaning, the things are just said out loud, for anyone to hear. I'm not sure about the music/vocals combo. Some songs seemed like they were half-assed. I think the singer is very talanted and could, if he tried, be very successful.

In my opinion, no band should be compared to another, but this band could easly be compared to other in it's class. Honestly, I don't think any song stood out on this album. I like that the songs were original and each had their own feel, but I disliked how each song kind of sounded like the previous one with such a punk/pop feel to it. I would not buy this album again if it were solen, I would rather listen to 50 Cent (and I hate rap).

xXcriesinvainXx
    actually decaydence lol ive been playing guitar for like 4 years of my life and i guarantee you i could shred these guys apart. you wanna know why? when you come up with songs and get in bands early...your only as good as when you started out unless you experiment. cuz your constanly playing stuff you made up two years ago on tours and crap i however started with easy then to harder stuff then to even harder stuff i am constanly striving to be better they arent which is why a bunch of people under the age of 16 are better than these guys
    TheClincher
    chikenpoop666 wrote:90% of their songs are written by someone else.
    wat. You know that Pete writes most of the lyrics, and that Patrick arranges all the guitar parts. Go do some research before you start making up things.
    chikenpoop666
    justchillin21 wrote: Crap lyrics all the way, guitars sound like a 3 year old's toy guitar, singer sounds like he's got a 12 volt shoved up his butt, just how worse can a band get? These guys sound just like what comes out of my ass after I eat taco bell and lay down for a couple of minutes. Well too bad that they are famous cause all the bafoons that listen to them, the downfall of mankind really is near.
    dude you kick ass!!!!
    chikenpoop666
    decaydance_rokk wrote: good god, you guys don't know what good music is. have you tried to play their songs? to batrash... i mean no offense but if you think fall out boy is human torture than you should sit thru and hour and a half with my old biology teacher. thats human torture. and fall out boy actually writes songs and plays songs about things that are important to them and they don't take orders from other people. they do things under their own terms and they do what they want. so just chillax about the whole FOB sucks ****. they don't and thats the truth of it. and this is not the FOB hit site. find somewhere else where other ppl who hate FOB will actually listen to you.
    WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT, these guys dont take orders from others and they write about things that are important to them, 90% of their songs are written by someone else. you know their are thousands of other bands who write things that speak back, for example outlaw country, metal, REAL PUNK MUSIC, and other bands that actually play their own instruments and wirte their own songs. ever heard of David Allen Coe?????
    solid37
    sell outs ha thats ridiculous there lyrics havent changed at all and i could name plenty of bands who hav "sold out" but i dont like bashing bands because guess what there obviously better at instruments and singing cuz there the ones with famous cds, and every band sells out at least a little, yes even zepplin and guns and roses there amazing but they bought into it all too (ooo look correct grammer do you know what that is) so back off of fall out boy they do what they love and thats all that matters
    chikenpoop666
    stop breast feeding and grow up you dumb emos im 12 and i've got better taste in music then you go listen to some slayer, pantera, death, cannibal corpse, zeppelin or anything else that has some musical talent
    Y2JLionHeart
    i think its funny to see people who obviously prefer one genre of music always bash on fob, or other "emo" bands.i dont see what the point is. i like fob and patd and other new bands, but i alson enjoy heavier bands like alice in chains, and bands like killswitch engage. however i dont really like bands like soad, but do i go around calling them shitty? no i dont b/c everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
    eod18
    this kicks ass!!i lve fob..but there the only band of that type of music..i lve bands like metallica,slipknot,trivium!fob are so simple,thays what i like about them.i dont car if anyone says different...
    sparky996
    i dont care if you can play better then them. they have sweet lyrics, great drums, and some awesome simple riffs. their only one band in the world, and if you hate them, dont make stupid comment comments on how you could supposedly make a better band then them.
    sparky996
    dont you love how many people who comment on these albums hate the bands that made them? PS. FOB ROCKS
    red mockingbird
    decaydance_rokk, you must be their only fan. get this through your head...Fall Out Boy sucks, their music sucks, you suck. They are not good and will never, ever ever ever ever ever ever ever, ever be good. Deal with it and suck it !
    Guitar Hurrican
    punk_isntemo12 wrote: fall out boy rock! i loved the song "I Slept With Someone From Fall Out Boy And All I Got Was This Song Written About Me". and to all those people who are going on about "listening to more mature music", f*** you!! personally, i think you 'mature' people are being as immature as us 'immature' people by telling us that we are immature. and i wish people would stop searching for reviews and tabs and stuff for bands they dont even like just to abuse them and theyr fans. now thats immature.
    lol wow... ps-pete wentz sucks..he should learn to play bass
    decaydance_rokk
    just looking at reviews and to the first one by the UG team, Pete Wentz is the BASSIST and Joe Trohman is the GUITARIST. just to make that clear. and to some other review, its joe trohman NOT joe hurley. its andy hurley. thank you. and to the second comment, dude its "were going down down in an earlier round, and sugar were going down swinging" and i am really sure pete wentz can write lyrics 10 times better than you.
    decaydance_rokk
    to the comment above... *sarcasm* oh yeah they are so boring... jesus get a life instead of critisizing a really talented band. if you think they are so suckish think you could do better? didn't think so.
    decaydance_rokk
    oh to mike_biro727 if you think FOB is just writing love songs you are sadly discombobulated. they are really creative and they don't write love songs over and over. take this to your grave for example talks about moving on to bigger and better things in Saturday, trying to achieve their goals in Homesick at Spacecamp and trying to figure out life in The Patron Saint of Liars and Fakes. in from under the cork tree, yeah they talk about love but love is really a huge part about life. but if you have ever listened to Ive Got A Dark Alley and an Idea that says You should Shut your mouth, you would know its talking about trying to get past obstacles and achieve higher things. Infinity on High is completely different too. Thriller is about not caring what everyone says they are gonna do what they want to, This Aint a Scene is about not caring about what poparazzi write about them, Golden is about being isolated from everyone else and knowing that somethings are just too big for one person to do alone, dont you know who i think i am is about not giving up, your crashing but your no wave is about the law for god's sake, and the after life of the party is about trying to push yourself to the limit to achieve your dreams. so if you think all fall out boy writes about and sings about is love you seriously need to go and listen to their cds again this time with the ear wax cleaned out of your ears.
    mike_biro727
    What the album misses is a good slow love-song. Something very remarkable about bitchy ex-girlfriend or a beautiful princess that lives next door, something that would became the second single after a fast-paced first single
    this is the last thing an album needs, bands need to b mor creative than writing luv songs over and over, it gets reely annoying
    Batrash
    Agreed...fall out boy is one of the worst bands ever to disgrace the name of music with their "sounds". Believe it or not, there is a world beyond 4/4 ,power chords, and eigth notes. Anyone who is a fan of Fall Out Boy has obvously never heard anything other than the sounds of human torture.
    justchillin21
    Double post!! Fall Out Boy rocks!!!!! Best band ever!!! George W. Bush Is the best president ever!!! Get were im going with this?
    justchillin21
    Necropolis
    O_O' umm that's kinda weird ur kinda contradicting urself....and btw i'm not a fan of FOB. don't really like them cuz they sound too weird to me i mean it really is repetitive. don't really know how u guys can like it though. i just guess everybody is different and some people are strange lol!
    red mockingbird
    not a fan. all their songs sound too similar, the lyrics are bad, awful. and they are terrible live. so whats good about them?
    alex w b
    to the ppl who wrote the 1st review...u got it wrong pete wentz plays bass joe trohman plays guitar
    Slayer 101
    Fall out boy sucks. Punk sucks. Emo sucks. its all just recycled taking back sunday riffs. THRASH RULES!!!!!