Infinity On High review by Fall Out Boy

• Released: Feb 5, 2007
Fall Out Boy: Infinity On High

The majority of the people on this planet became a fall out boy fan because of the song "Sugar, We're Going Down." I know that's when I was. I am a rock and roll/heavy metal fan and musician. I heard that song on the radio one day, and for some reason, absolutely loved it. Every band has a label, be it metal, emo, pop-punk (which is what FOB used to be, ) etc. When I heard this song I was knew it fell under some kinda of pop category, but it was different. I actually liked it. I eventually had to get the CD and fell in love with it. Yes "From Under the Cork Tree" was a fusion of pop-punk/pop-rock, but they had some kind of style that wouldn't let me go. It was a very good cd. Listening to their music before this CD was realease, I realized they were very much punk to pop/punk. But for some odd reason I still loved the sound of these guys. They could just right music in any genre and it would probably sound amazing. And that is exactly what they did on their second major label release, "Infinity On High." I have no category to put them in anymore. They are just a rock band. I can't even call them pop-rock becuase some of their material is too heavy for that. The album ranges from fast to slow, from whiny to insightful, from anything you can thing to the exact opposite. They weren't trying to do anything (just like they never were) but have set the bar for what any rock album should be. Exactly what the artists want it to be. This album is a must have for ANYONE who loves rock music and have is open-minded enough (which I wasn't until this band)to let go of their 'poppy' feel.

The lyrics of Fall Out Boy are what were always first noticed by any new listener. They have a know-it-all, smart-aleck, back off, I don't care what you thinkg, We're doing this for us attitude about that. And it's hard to do that without people hating you. How do they do it. They are clever about it. They are funny at times, and make you think at others and the devliver by lead singer (Wentz) is almost harmless and at times desperate that you can't get mad at the harsh words. The lyricist of the group (Stump) knows how good he is with a pen. He even says it on the album.

This is by far my favorite CD to come out since System of a Down's "Hypnotize" and "Mesmerize." But what this band has done for me is open my eyes to whole other world of music out there that I was too stubborn to see. Panic! at the Disco has a great CD out. If it weren't for FOB I would've never have given them a glance. As metal fans we tend to like to be rebellious to things that everyone loves, such as pop-rock. But when a band can do it with such charm, talent, and charisma, I've realized it shouldn't matter what they are categorized, as long as it sounds good. This will most likely be my favorite album of this year (and it's only February.) It's everything you can ask for on a rock CD! Best songs: "Thriller", "This Ain't A Scene," "Thnks Fr Th Mmrs", "The (After) Life Of The Parter" and "Band the Doldrums."