Infinity On High review by Fall Out Boy

• Released: Feb 5, 2007
  • Reviewer's score: 1.7 Junky
Fall Out Boy: Infinity On High

Fall Out Boy was...and I say "was" with great pleasure as they have split up...a band that disgraced alt-rock during the mid-to-late 2000's with their emo lyrics and overall sound stolen right off of a Green Day album. In fact, writing this review absolutely pains me. It pains me to write about an album with no creativity or thought. But why review this album? Simply put: Infinity On High is so bad of an album that I felt compelled to listen to it again. Turns out it is even worse than when I last listened to it nearly two years ago. Every damn song--and by every, I really do mean every---sounds exactly the same. Now I do understand that every song on an album will share similairites. Take Pink Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon; every song on there is trippy and psychadellic. Yet the difference between Dark Side Of The Moon and Infinity On High is that, even with major similarities, Pink Floyd was at least able to do more than the usual vocals-bass-guitar-drum shtick by including horns, pianos, organs, and a whole boatload of other instruments. With Infinity On High, it's anything but; just the typical vocals-bass-guitar-drum sound that sound like a lame Jimmy Eat World rip-off. I also understand that the vocals-bass-guitar-drum shtick is not a bad thing. Led Zeppelin did it in all of their albums. But at least they changed their sound after Led Zeppelin II. Green Day also did it after Dookie--and some can argue that they changed their sound before Dookie as well. With Fall Out Boy's Infinity On High, there is absolutely no variety; all of the songs on this album sound absolutely no different from their previous albums. The major factor that completely destroys the entire album is Pete Wentz's bass playing. Anyone who listens to punk know for a fact that punk normally has a strong bass sound. Pete Wentz's bass sound is so incredibly weak and, at times, so hard to hear that it's a wonder why he actually felt that he contributed something.

The lyrics here are asinine bullshit. They didn't speak out to me at all--nor did they speak out to anyone I know. Infinity On High's lyrics normally consist of either going on a date with a girl while attempting to sound like a badass while using metaphors that would make anyone scratch their head. In fact, in the song "Carpal Tunnel Of Love", they use the metaphor "ice cream avalanche" to describe how "miserable and stunning" they are. It's like they didn't even try here. My guess is that they went to the studio and figured that no matter what they did, people would still buy their albums. It's kind of a shame that the lyrics are so bad, especially since lead singer Patrick Stump actually sounds like a singer with a small portion of potential. He hits the high and low notes quite well on some of the songs, actually. Unfortunately, the overall sound of the guitars and bass make his voice and singing ability less credible.

Everything Jimmy Eat World's Bleed American is, Infinity On High is not. There is no transition, the songs all sound the same, and the lyrics are garbage. The fact that I actually listened to it again before I wrote this review is just dreadful. It makes me wonder why I actually spent money on such a horrible album and why Fall Out Boy was such a succesful rock act a few years ago--that is if you actually want to call them a "rock" act. You want some good pop-punk? Then go listen to Green Day.