Live In Phoenix review by Fall Out Boy

• Released: Apr 1, 2008
Fall Out Boy: Live In Phoenix

No surprises here. Fall Out Boy have never been that great live. The instruments are sloppy and vocals are, overall, weak. Across the board, I thought the drums were nice, but the rest was pretty bad. I have never been a fan of Pete's bass work, and, thankfully, they apparently forgot to turn on his bass on this album. I never noticed it once until Dance Dance. Even then it was quiet and lacking in any noticeable tone. I am a fan of this band, and their live experience is generally meant to be viewed and not just heard.

This is a live album so all the lyrics are from other CDs. I have always been a fan of the wit and sarcasm. However, almost no lyrics are comprehendible on this album. Patrick consistently sounds like his mouth is full of marbles.

I will definately listen to this CD more in the future. It's not amazing, but what is? I really didn't like the Beat It cover. It's good for a live CD and is a fairly accurate representation of Fall Out Boy's talent. I was impressed most by Golden, which sounded nice on the piano. I have heard the other live version on Leaked in London, but I think that this one was much better. I may have disliked the pieces, but when they are put together they provide a nice time.

pnkr0cker
    to Muse=Rock, listen to calm before the storm, the drums in the chorus are incredibly technical.
    iH8CarAccidents
    Okay. Nobody has a real good argument against them other than "they suck" or somethign similar. So since we are in need of a decent argument, here I am to save the day. First off, I want to say that I don't mind Fall Out Boy. They write catchy tunes, and I'll bang my head to it with whoever else. They're also one of the few bands that still makes interesting music videos. And for that I commend them. That being said, they're not all that talented musically. Sure it's catchy, but it's also simple. The drummer has some sweet fills in a few songs, but the guitarists play 99% power chords and octaves. The other 1% is simple little riffs ("Like in Sugar We're Going Down"). But nothing complicated at all. Sugar We're Going Down is one of the first songs I ever learned on guitar. The reason John Mayer did the solo is just because FOB can't solo. (And the solo in the original song was by Eddie Van Halen for crap's sake. Hard to top that.) Find me a song where they play a decent solo and I'll apologize, but I have yet to hear it. Oh and Patrick Stump sounds like a moose live. There. I said it. I don't really have a beef with Fall Out Boy themselves. In my opinion there are much more talented bands that deserve more recognition than them. Like Chiodos, Firewind, Lamb of God, Anberlin, Atreyu, My Chemical Romance... I could go on and on. And for the record they are NOT emo. Pete Wenz wears eyeliner. and dyed his hair black. And there's that one line on From Under the Cork Tree that goes "There's a ribbon on my wrist that says do not open before Christmas." That's about it. They're like... powerpop or something. I don't even know anymore with all these different labels people come up with. But not emo. That's just ignorant. That's my 2 cents. Thanks for reading.
    GibsonPWNS
    pnkr0cker : its probably hard to play their stuff and sing, their strumming paterns arent steady eight notes usually unless its a single.
    Pfft..... what the f*** ever. The guy from BSC sings while he solos. Bottom line no one will ever throw out that good heroine scream that Kurt had. And as far as punk being good, it hasnt been good since the early 90's
    cajun_prince
    randomkiller
    i never liked them but i dont despise them with a passion.... and theyre pretty bad live from what ive heard....
    pnkr0cker
    RATM forever : pnkr0cker wrote: they sound like crap live because they like to actually put on a show instead of being boring and just standing there like almost every band does now. the only band ive ever heard who can put both together is green day but even still the only crazy people are billy joe... ....Are you kidding me? green day is the only band who puts on a good live show and still sound good? I heard some of their live stuff on the radio, it sounds so bad, and they even had to hire more musicians to play for them while they 'put on a good show'. Rage Against the Machine has some of the best live stuff ive ever seen, and the quality of the music only goes up( although Zach does lose some of the emotion in his voice live IMO). But on topic, fall out boy is terrible, they are everything that is wrong with music nowadays. First of all, they are NOT emo, or punk or whatever you are trying to call them, it had already been stated why they aren't emo, and modern punk is pretty much dead, the only part that remains are hardcore punk, bands like Rise Against, and Anti-Flag. Fall out boy is toned-down, made for radio, pop crap. They play annoying songs with a whiny, high-pitched voice. the musicians are terrible, no wonder the guitarist couldn't even manage a tapping solo from Beat It. Oh, and please stop dropping the fact that fall out boy sells records, no shit! Thats what pop bands do. No, im not jealous that im not in a shitty pop band that millions of people hate, and i promise you I could out riff/solo the guitarist
    the only part that you responded from me is the first paragraph first of all. second of all, if you think they are a band thats just for the radio, then you obviously dont pay attention, they average 2 singles per album which is normal the rest of the songs sound way better than their singles (im not joking if you listened to the take over the breaks over youd probably understand). second, you dont have to be an insane lead guitarist to be good its called creativity. besides if you want to bash appropriately say that to john mayer he redid the solo. joe trohman is actually really good at solos, they just dont make crazy solo's mainly cause it wouldnt match any of their songs. and i said green day is the only band ive HEARD put on a near perfect live performance. if you see him, the singer runs up and down the stage at a full sprint and still sounds great. fall out boy sings pretty low most of the time compared to bands like guns and roses and aerosmith. the REALLY funny thing is that the people who like fob know they arent emo, that is the fob-haters so hate those retard people who think they know what their talking about. another thing is that they are pretty only pay attention to their loyal fans and not the scene people like you make it out to be. if they were that desperate they would be doing all kinds of projects. one last thing, if you didnt judge a band by the singles then you would realize they sound better than you think. their songs can be really light but sometimes they take advantage of their krank amps and actually use heavy riffs. if they are on album four and still get major support, they are probably doing something right. the pop bands that totally suck usually get on the radio with one song and literally die
    duncang
    RATM forever hardcore punk, bands like Rise Against, and Anti-Flag.
    At this point I just started laughing.
    DkassBTU
    omarrodrigez wrote: They're all terrible musicians, that's a fact, not an opinion.
    Being open minded today I see.
    RATM forever
    ThunderPX
    stradivari310 wrote: Or maybe John Mayer actually has a clue and doesn't bash FOB like all you people.
    +1.
    GibsonPWNS
    Ok I admit they may not even be on my respected list but that has nothing to do with there classification. Now If any of you play Rock Band (and i know you do) the stock song list can be divided in to genre. Would anyone like to take a guess as to what the only "emo" song was. Yeah, you guys know im right too. BURN!
    TheSoupDragon
    Just like to repeat what's been said before. Seeing as it's cool for the haters to do so. - FOB aren't emo. At all. As far as I'm concerned they play Pop-Punk. And they play it far far better than all the other Pop/Rock bands you hear on Kerrang, etc. - No, they aren't the 4 greatest musicians in the world. Nobody thinks they are. When someone says "They're actually pretty talented", they're not saying "They're as talented as the guys in Dream Theater". Patrick is a very good singer, and Andy is a great drummer. Paticularly his work on Take This To Your Grave, which, as has been said, most people haven't listened to. - Yes, they're far from flawless live, but they have a whole load of fun, playing music THEY enjoy, for a LOT of money. If that's not ****ing winning at life I don't know what is. I appreciate FOB because they make catchy, dare I say, fun, music. No, they don't play highly technical music, but they've never claimed to be anything other than a pop band. I appreciate BTBAM, DT, Opeth, etc, because they do play highly technical music. If you don't like it, don't ****ing listen.
    thewhorock
    or maybe John Mayer has a clue and feel's bad for how much they suck.
    RayToroIsAGod
    no way are fob good enough to cover beat it. they dont deserve the privelege of covering such a legendery song. and to do it with john mayer, well... john has really sunk to a low level to do this
    Bonorly
    Beat It is probably the best remake of a michael jackson song, but I'm not saying its brilliant. Most remakes of his are pants but this is particularly good, because fob's lead vocals really capture the sound that needs to be acheived.
    bada-bing
    cajun_prince wrote: panic at the disco rocks more.. but still.. they're both shitty bands blah blah.. so.. pfffttt..
    Probs the most outrageous statement ive read in a while. A good CD, buy it if your a fan, dont if your not. Some good posts on here though, i like seeing both sides of the FOB reviews.