Save Rock and Roll review by Fall Out Boy

• Released: Apr 12, 2013
Fall Out Boy: Save Rock and Roll

Fall Out Boy had big expectations to live up to after there hiatus (2009-2013) was over. Rumors had been surfacing about whether or not FOB was "getting back together" or not. After watching countless interviews with the band, vocal/guitar frontman Patrick Stump has confirmed that the band never actually broke up, but took a break (side projects, relaxing, family, etc.) But when the band DID come back from there much deserved 4 year vacation, they announced a new album. However, the thing that nobody knew was that Fall Out Boy began writing this album way before they announced the hiatus over. In fact, the band had the album FINISHED before the project was announced. Little was known about that album at this time except for the release of the chart-topping single "My Songs Know What You Did In The Dark (Light 'Em Up)", the first single off the album. This song is very gritty and up beat and was the perfect song to announce the band as reunited. The next single released was "The Phoenix", which many will refer to as the "anthem" of the album (next to "Save Rock And Roll). Sounds range in this album about as high as Patrick's vocals go. Songs like "Rat A Tat" sounds about as close to old FOB as it gets. The guest spots on this record had me nervous, the band knew what they were doing. Big Sean's bridge on "The Mighty Fall" was better that expected. Elton John's vocals on "Save Rock And Roll" were quite odd (even though Patrick looks like a mini version of Elton). While the new album can be compared to "Picture Show" by the Neon Trees, FOB introduced us to a brand new sound for them, and while it's nothing like the "Sugar, We're Going Down" quartet you knew back in '05, its still the same band, just with a different taste.

Lyrically this album is straight forward. Compared to past albums where people are still trying to figure out what they songs were about, this album gets right to the point. The lyrics seem to fit ALMOST perfectly with each note. This album has achieved the most cuss words ever on a FOB album, however, it's mostly by the guests artists. Another disappointment on this album was that the band ditched the whole "song title has nothing to do with the actual song" idea that they had on their first 4 albums, which was one of the things that made the band so interesting. Lots of repetitive chorus and hooks on the album. On a more positive note, there are more positive things to say about the lyrics then there are negative. "Young Volcanoes", one of my favorites off the album, would've been a great closer for the album if "Save Rock And Roll" was never written. It has a really great "we're young, wild, and free" message to it. The lyrics overall on the record aren't overly impressive. There are some really good ones, and some really weak ones.

This album was one of my most anticipated for 2013. Every morning, I'd wake up and check to see if it'd leaked anywhere. I couldn't wait to get my hands on it, and I was shocked when the first source of the songs came on Facebook right from the official Fall Out Boy page. Fall Out Boy has definitely started a new chapter in their career, and this is for sure not that last album we're hearing from them. The band is set to release a video for each of the songs, and is currently touring with the album in their set list.