Save Rock and Roll review by Fall Out Boy

• Released: Apr 12, 2013
  • Reviewer's score: 1.3 Junky
Fall Out Boy: Save Rock and Roll

Awful awful awful mainstream electronic rubbish! After being a fan of their catchy song-writing prowess on "Take This To Your Grave" and "From Under The Cork Tree" I was pretty much writing off Fall Out Boy as another band fallen under the spell of producing radio-friendly tat to the teenage Radio 1 generation. "Folie A Deux" was not bad - just wasn't what established the band as a popular force in the pop-punk world. After listening to "Save Rock And Roll" I can honestly say that Fall Out Boy should've stayed on "hiatus". Over-produced electronic nonsense with juvenile lyrics and no sign of any "rock and roll"!

Poorly written teenage lyrics - Patrick Stump has excelled himself in mediocrity on "Save Rock And Roll" with a bunch of badly devised songs with some pretty awful rhetoric. The lead single is poor with barely any noticeable guitar and the drumming is very very poor and in place very difficult to pick out. What strikes me the most about the album is that Patrick Stump's voice seems to take on a lot of autotune and vocoder effect - something that again detracts them from their already established place amongst the pop-punk genre. I applaud originality but not in this case - I despise it.

As sad as it is for a fan of the first three albums to say - Fall Out Boy are dead. "Save Rock And Roll" is not an album that will continue the work put in by Stump and Wentz to establish the band in the pop-punk genre. Gone are the catchy verse-chorus-verse songs with enjoyable guitars and in their place is an album worth of mediocre, electronic rubbish. This review probably won't even get printed and the fanboys will be baying for blood saying - "why did you review something if you don't even like Fall Out Boy anymore?" The answer is simple - I used to love Fall Out Boy but on this performance they are best served in my memory and their back catalogue their only one in my playlist.