Take This To Your Grave review by Fall Out Boy

• Released: May 6, 2003
Fall Out Boy: Take This To Your Grave

The sound on this CD sounds awesome. I love how Pete and Patrick mix their voices so well and with some other punk-pop bands their voices are distinct and that the voices aren't buried by the instruments. The only complaints on sound that I have is the bass really isn't heard that well in a lot of these songs. And the other complaint is that in the song "Saturday" I wasn't to impressed with Patrick's high note attempt. That's about all to say on sound other than Joe is a really good guitarist.

I'll just do a breakdown song by song of lyrics: 01. Tell That Mick That He Has Just Made My List Of Things To Do Today - with a lot of songs that the titles have nothing to do with the song. Still the lyrics made me laugh during the chorus. 02. Dead On Arrival - I like the short title and the lyrics are repeated throughout the song. Very very catchy. 03. Grand Theft Autumn (Where Is Your Boy) - a really good song for teenagers to relate to. The lyrics tell start to tell this story of a guy who likes a girl who already has a boyfriend. Then I get confused because in the 2nd verse it says he gets off his ass and calls her. 04. Saturday - another song I think is just okay. There is one lyric that I really like in this song. "I read about the afterlife, but I never really lived for more than an hour" another problem was the high note attempt at the end. 05. Homesick At Space Camp - really catchy. 06. Sending Postcards From A Plane Crash (Wish You Were Here) - this is just another okay song. 07. Chicago Is So Two Years Ago - really good song. One of the best on the album. I like the guitar part in this song alot. 08. The Pro's And Con's Of Breathing - this is where the album get's a little darker and away from the pop songs. Possibly the best song on the album. This one is about a breakup and someone trying to forget about the other person. 09. Grenade Jumper - not really much I can say about this one. I was immensly annoyed by the "Hey Chris" line. 10. Calm Before The Storm - probably the only pop-ish type song on the album that I like. This song is really catchy. I like how it starts out all upbeat then the background singer starts throwing his voice with the chorus. 11. Reinventing The Wheel To Run Myself Over - another darker song. It's short and sweet that's why I like it. 12. The Patron Saint Of Liars And Fakes - they really did save the best for last. Next to #8. This is the best song on the album. You can tell the emotion in Patrick's voice as he sings "And when I all goes to hell, will you be able to tell me you're sorry with a straight face." The darkness of this song doesn't hurt either.

Okay compared to their new cd. This is really darker. Their new CD is way too much pop for me. Best songs on the CD are Chicago Is So Two Years Ago, The Pros And Cons Of Breathing, Calm Before The Storm, Reinventing The Wheel To Run Myself Over, The Patron Saint Of Liars And Fakes. If this CD were stolen I would probably burn another copy from a friend, but not the same story with the new CD.

ChronZerg
    The Pros and Cons of Breathing is honestly, one of the most catchy, deep, and well thought out titles i have heard. Just really think about it, and all the meaning to could hold. Love that title.