Take This To Your Grave review by Fall Out Boy

logo Ultimate Guitar
  • Released: May 6, 2003
  • Sound: 8
  • Lyrics: 8
  • Overall Impression: 8
  • Reviewer's score: 8 Superb
  • Users' score: 7.4 (98 votes)
Fall Out Boy: Take This To Your Grave
1

Sound — 8
Fall Out Boy a power pop/pop-punk band with former members that were in hardcore punk bands. They have a unique sound and you can definitely tell they have a hardcore background with some of there songs including "shouting" lyrics and growling screams. The songs are mostly fast paced and consist of three chord guitar parts.

Lyrics — 8
The backup vocalist and bassist Pete Wentz composes all of the lyrics, he has a unique style and I've never seen anything like it. The singer/guitarist Patrick Stump has an average voice and it's nothing special although he can be pretty impressive in some songs.

Overall Impression — 8
I really wish this band still made music like this but eh whatever. The album deserves an 8 out of 10 and I wish the songs had more of a variety because they sometimes tend to sound the same. The best song on the album has to be "Saturday" it has great lyrics good melody and the song ends with screaming provided by Pete Wentz and I was impressed by it.

18 comments sorted by best / new / date

    oands
    bry0n wrote: YES! Man, you totally got the point to this album. In Grand theft autumn, when he confuses you, he is talking about "Screw it, i'm gonna go call her, don't give a sh** about her boyfriend". But other than that, you really got the point to their songs, especially the great(est of all time) album ender, "The Patron Saints of Liars and Fakes". THANK YOU!
    someone has never heard hallowed be thy name then.. i'm not gonna bash anybody, but i seriously can't see why so many people gave this a 10..
    mckraf99
    lets not forget that pete wentz did rip off wes eisold (American Nightmare/Give Up the Ghost)
    rocker4life521
    This is definitely the best album of FOB. They're newer stuff is just a little too poppy and mainstream. As much as everyone bashes them, they do make some decent, catchy songs. Not the biggest fan of FOB, but this album makes me like them, because it just seems like they're doing their own thing here, and for that I can say I like FOB...at least the older FOB.
    solid37
    ok so i understand that tons of people hate fall out boy, i love them #1 band in my opinion and i dont mind if you dont think they are just im tired of everyone on these things trying to bash them when if they werent so good they wouldnt be this popular and therefor you wouldnt know about them and in effect you wouldn bash them so at least give them some credit they must be pretty good to get this far, i dont like disturbed, il say it but you know what i respect them and i think they have done an amazing job with there band, thats just not my taste, so please just stop bashing them, and favorite song on this cd is probably grenade jumper, its really catchy
    ryanglaspell
    This is my favorite FOB a;bum by far i love every track,with the exception of Reinventing the Wheel To Run Over Myself...jsut something about the chorus gets on my nerve haha but Pros and Cons of Breathing and Patron Saint of Liars anf Fakes are my fave off the album but all the songs are good. If only fall out boy coulda stayed like this )=
    kmceric1004
    TjGk wrote: kmceric1004 wrote: imma b banned fro this eh? lol xD I hope so; your spelling is atrocious. I appreciate your argument, though.
    its called modern msn culture old man and i believe 'atrocious' is a bit too much dramatising
    TjGk
    kmceric1004 wrote: imma b banned fro this eh? lol xD
    I hope so; your spelling is atrocious. I appreciate your argument, though.
    kmceric1004
    pnkr0cker wrote: bashers are so dumb. they expect music to be about solo's and crap. i want to hear a real statement not like this one by justchillin21 "I can shread my guitar with my toes, drunk, blindfolded, upside down, all while singing the itsy bitsy spider on a runaway train. Man this crap sucks" that really proves for a fact they suck. just about every person on the net probably cant accurately tab their music.
    lol wat music? u say this is 'rock'.. and the whole 'rock' back in the days was ABOUT ur 'solos and crap'. Learn to appreciate sum REAL music. I TOTALLY agree with justchillin21. The fact that there arnt any accurate tabs of FOB 'songs' reflects how badly the 'guitar' tracks are treated in mainstream S**T these days. How would u explain the existence of a rly accurate tab of 'Universal Mind' then? Besides, they dont hav riffs to b tabbed from the start so why would we bother? Although, its quite astounding to see most people who appreciate this sort of crap is either not a true musician or a failure at music. FOB fanboys, most haters of this sorta crap are in sum way gud musicians and trust me, u cant win a SINGLE argument about music genres and misc. things about music against the haters (or me at least). So stop the 'we-know-everything-about-music' attitude u fanboys and may b the haters will leave u alone imma b banned fro this eh? lol xD
    G0dzilla
    This is FOB's best album imo. from under the cork tree is also pretty good tho..
    David_Bowie=GOD
    this is why i used to love fall out boy then they released from under the cork tree then i just liked them then out came infinity on high now i cant really stand them Seriously though, this is a really great album by them, imo its their best work.
    Shabalaba
    Bad reviews due to most not really going in depth about the album or just giving straight 10s
    Tapping_Ninja
    oands wrote: bry0n wrote: YES! Man, you totally got the point to this album. In Grand theft autumn, when he confuses you, he is talking about "Screw it, i'm gonna go call her, don't give a sh** about her boyfriend". But other than that, you really got the point to their songs, especially the great(est of all time) album ender, "The Patron Saints of Liars and Fakes". THANK YOU! someone has never heard hallowed be thy name then.. i'm not gonna bash anybody, but i seriously can't see why so many people gave this a 10..
    One of the greatest maiden songs ever...
    TjGk
    And this is getting a higher overall rating than Traced In Air...how?
    Rishwag12
    justchillin21 wrote: Ah my good ol friend above me paid a visit here too. Lets crap all over these fools. To all u retards who think they have good lyrics, well obviously u haven't heard some of deftones, mars volta, glassjaw, or every time I die. Cause FOB's lyrics suck, they sound like the chicken scratch from a 3 year old. And their guitars rock?? Who would say that? I can shread my guitar with my toes, drunk, blindfolded, upside down, all while singing the itsy bitsy spider on a runaway train. Man this crap sucks, well don't thank me and my friend above me just yet, wait until all u little retards start listening to some real music. Word to yo momma.
    Dude, you are so ridiculously cool it isn't even funny. Their lyrics do not suck. Honestly, they are the best I have ever heard in my whole life. Different from everything else I have ever experienced. The lyrics are pretty much what really hooked me to this band.