Fashionably Late review by Falling In Reverse

• Released: Jun 18, 2013
  • Reviewer's score: 5 Decent
Falling In Reverse: Fashionably Late

As a fan of Falling In Reverse from their last release "The Drug in Me Is You," I have to say that "Fashionably Late" was a bit of a shock. The sound is new compared to their previous style of a pop/metal mix, combining elements of hip hop, EDM, and at one point country into the mix. Overall, the sound isn't all that bad, save a few tracks like "Alone," "Bad Girls Club," and "Game Over." It's different, yes, but I wouldn't say it's different in a totally bad way. Frontman Ronnie Radke made it abundantly clear that he would not care what people thought of the band's new sound, and that certainly shows. "Fashionably Late" comes out as a very experimental, try-to-get-as-many-genres-in-as-we-can album. While a few tracks, like "Fashionably Late," "Rolling Stone," and "Born to Lead" seem to pull this idea off the majority seem a bit messy. So, while the sound experiments done on the album are neat in their idea, a lot just don't work. For another band, this might have come across as just something that didn't work. However, for a band like Falling In Reverse, it certainly lacks something that their last album had.

Lyrics are what I saw as what really destroyed this album. Don't get me wrong, Ronnie Radke is a talented person who has set a precedent of writing some really good songs, but the overall feel of the lyrics on "Fashionably Late" is highly egotistical. "The Drug in Me Is You" had a similar vibe to it, but this album takes it a bit over the top. Falling In Reverse is bound to have some sense of narcissism to any song it produces, which is what draws a lot of people in to the band, but "Fashionably Late" takes it too far. The lyrics alternate between bragging about Radke's life and talking about how much his life sucks. It's very confusing, but despite the discrepancies between songs, a few like "It's Over When It's Over" show Radke's talent at song writing. However, songs like "Bad Girls Club" really hurt the album overall with their cheesy, over the top ego trip lyrics. Radke is a talented man with a lot of skill, he just needs to rein himself in every now and then so that it doesn't go to his head.

I feel like a lot of people went into this album expecting to hate it. For that reason, I didn't read any review before listening to it, and that proved to be a very good idea. Most of the reviews on this album just focus on the bad parts and give zero credit to the creativity behind the album. It was a risky move to experiment as much as Falling In Reverse did on "Fashionably Late," and I give them a lot of credit for doing it. However, to be honest it was a largely unsuccessful attempt with a few standout moments. "Rolling Stone," "Born To Lead," "It's Over When It's Over," and "Fashionably Late" are definitely a showcase of what Falling In Reverse can offer with this type of sound. While this album definitely doesn't top "The Drug in Me Is You," it presents itself as a very cool musical experiment. I'd say if you want something different, check it out. If you prefer to contain yourself to a specific sound, you're gonna hate this album. Either way, "Fashionably Late" will definitely be remembered by Falling In Reverse fans in the future, for better or for worse.

defluxtor
    geez I wanna be like him too ! I wouldn't have spent in 15 years what he spends in 15 seconds so now I feel so inadequate I'll just crawl away and die knowing I'm just a nobody.....