Dawn Escapes Review

Falling Up: Dawn Escapes
Release Date: Oct 25, 2005
Label: Tooth & Nail
Genres: Gospel
With this release they showed a step in the right direction and a reach towards maturity. This album is worth a buy and most definitely a listen.
 8.6
 7.9
 9.3
Dawn Escapes Reviewed by: fadetoblack86, on december 21, 2005

Sound: Unlike thier first album "Crashings," "Dawn Escapes" has more synth than rock. It even begins to sound more Pop-like which is for me a downside. Though they changed it up a little from thier first album, they don't go too far astray. Musicly it's a great album to have. The songs feel fuller than "Crashings" which is sootheing to listen to. The whole album feels full and complete. I've had the privilage to listen to them in concert and the music is awesome. Though the singer begins to yell and shout more and not actually sing as much, which is understandable when your doing backflips on stage during the concert. If you like Falling Up's first album you like this one as well. // 7

Lyrics: They stay in thier Christian domain range of lyrics, but is less direct in force with thier lyrics. Subliminally they do a wonderful job. Thier album is more focused in a direction. this album is more outsider friendly as well. When I was reading their album booklet with the lyrics I notice a similarity in songs. the verses all started in somewhat of the same way. 2 words comma 2 words, or word comma word. Look at Exit Calyspan, Exibition, Flights, Contacts. though they all sound different and great. it's just a little too much. // 6

Overall Impression: For me a little too much synth in the music, but still a great album. Though thier first album IMO is better. this album can be just a great as thier last. Not bad as a sophmore album. // 7

Dawn Escapes Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 30, 2006

Sound: Falling up has gravitated towards guitar riffs in their sophomore album. Songs like 'Fearless', 'Moonit' and 'Searchlights' used dynamic guitar riffs with a lot more crunch than their first albm. I think that listeners will agree that the style has developed and matured from their first album into what was needed for the energy that flows from this album. The harder and more industrial sound apart from the poppier debut album has earned the energy mentioned. The synths seemed to displace a lot of the time as well as guitar drive in the intro of the songs. It seemed redundant in context of the dynamics of the album in songs such as 'Into The Gravity' and 'Conatct, where Keys and Synth led the songs. Though this was a change from the original album, the dynamic keyboards and synth find themselves defining the integrity of this album. The use of loops helped soften the feel for some of the songs and also halped direct a lot of the feeling that you can identify in the songs such as 'Moonlit', 'Exit Calypsan' and 'Marathons'. But al in al, the album's new and refined taste will appeal to a fan base that can appreciate the drive and intensifying sound of this album. // 8

Lyrics: Being a Christian band, the lyrics do have a meaning to them that has an intended integrity. But some of the integrity seems to be lost with broken sentences and lost hooks that Jesse uses in a lo tof songs. Given that you're Bible scholar and can coordinate the meanings of the lyrics with the corresponding Bible verses of each song, it would be easy to see and hear the meaning of the lyrics. But given the integrity and emotion of each song, those meanings (which may appear hidden) intensify and drive the integrity of the choruses as well as the entire songs. Such is the fact in songs like 'Exhibitions' and 'Lights of Reedsport'. I think that given the surrealism of the abstract lyrics, the words still have strong impact and relevance to the bands' integrity. // 6

Overall Impression: This album is definately what Falling Up fans will want in a sophomore album froma diverse and driven band. The lyrics do justice to their meaning and all is intensified by the amazing guitar parts and off-beat rhythm drums. Overall, this album is it's own identity, it's own entity and a different sound that fans of hard rock and ambient music will adore. And Christians can apreciate the bands' purpose as seen in the production and lyrics of this album. // 8

Dawn Escapes Reviewed by: I am punk "BF", on october 09, 2007

Sound: This was an amazing album. The sound was great. It had awesome drums, crazy awesome guitars, and the vocals were so cool. The songs on this album had some fast guitar playing. They played them really professionally, and the vocals were insanely good. The vocals really followed the guitar well. When you first listen to this album you may wonder why I am saying this. That is becausein the beginning of most of the songs there is like a 15 second intro of random sounds. Just listen and after that intro falling up starts to rock. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics were pretty good. And the singer skills were great. In my opinion, not sure why, but all of the song lyrics reminded me of nature. It isn't a bad thing because either why the lyrics were cool. There was of course, no explicit lyrics because they are a christain band. I really loved the lyrics, and the lyrics on this album were a lot better than the ones on their previous release. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall this was a really cool album. The best song on the whole thing was moonlit. It had a fast piano intro and then it breaks out into really fast guitars. It was awesome, and it has a little bit of screaming in the background. The vocals were good on this song to. If I ever lost this album I would definately get it again. Falling Up is a great band. // 10

Comments