Dance Or Die review by Family Force 5

• Released: Aug 19, 2008
Family Force 5: Dance Or Die

Those feel-good crunk rockers Family Force 5 are back with a new album, and the title is a pretty good indicator of what to expect in terms of the musical style they're bringing to the table. Dance Or Die is heavily rooted in, you guessed it, dance music. The band cleverly intertwines some great guitar distortion in the mix, and there are moments when a few tracks lean in a much harder direction. It probably would not come as a huge surprise that Family Force 5 might be delving into the dance pop genre with titles like Party Foul, or Get Your Back Off The Wall. That being said, if there is any part of you that enjoys a good groove, you'll probably find Dance Or Die a refreshing change from the usual rock fare. The title track starts everything off with a sound deeply rooted in the R&B genre. The band's previous album Business In The Front/Party In The Back didn't waste time in throwing out a bunch of sampling out in the first track, but the band reins that side in -- at least for a little while. Dance Or Die is not quite as wacky as what we've heard in the past from Family Force 5, and actually sticks to a pretty traditional format. If there's a song that could be a shoe-in for a radio single, Dance Or Die is the one. While Dance Or Die does make for a good kick-off song, there are tracks that are much more satisfying for the fact they do get a bit more daring or experimental. There's usually a funky rhythm injected into most of the songs, but Get Your Back Off The Wall goes in a very different direction. In ways it has the same sound as one of Aerosmith's heavier offerings, and you wouldn't necessarily think of the club scene after hearing it. Between the screamed chorus and the heavy use of Derek Mount's distorted guitars in key moments, it packs a much bigger punch than most of the other tracks. Another song that has the same feel is D-I-E 4 Y-O-U. As ridiculous as the title is, it's still a fairly rocking track. A word of warning: a few tracks sound eerily like something a boy band would produce. How In The World and Share It With Me could easily have been made by 'N Sync, simply for the fact that the guitars are deeply hidden in the mix and you're left with some mellow beats, relationship-themed lyrics, and tweaks to Solomon Old's voice (think Cher's Believe). If you enjoy the overall fun and spirited sound of Family Force 5, however, those few tracks won't really alter your opinion of Dance Or Die.

Much like the funky, club-inspired music behind Family Force 5, the lyrical content also tends to revolve around dancing and more dancing. It's actually a similar approach to Andrew W.K.'s pro-party songs, and in a way it does help the band to carve out a core audience. While there are a few songs that explore relationships, getting out on the dancefloor does take precedence on the aptly titled album Dance Or Die.

Many of you might be scared away by Family Force 5's love affair with shaking their money maker, but Dance Or Die does delve into quite a few musical styles. Yes, the synth and vocal tweaks do tend to give many of the songs a pop feel, but there are also about 4 songs that give distortion and aggressive vocals the spotlight. You'll probably still feel the urge to get on the dancefloor with the heavier tracks, but then again, that does seem to be the point of the album.

Brendan.Clace
    Great Christian dance/rock band. I think they act like a bunch of retards live, but the music is alright. Good guys too!
    ArtSchool
    It's not the Christian aspect of them that makes their music virtually unlistenable. Their style of music is downright abrasive and completely unoriginal. Not to mention lacking in musical talent. All of their songs sound like every other song, and that song just sounds bad. The fact that their a Christian band and "rocking for god" so to speak, does happen to take any edge off of them that they may have gleaned from flailing about and wearing a lot of make-up. I'm sorry, in all honesty, if you think this is inspired music, I pity you.
    samuelgin
    i saw them in a free concert last december - in atlanta, they have some good songs, but some are just too techno. but live, they throw guitars and microphones, and i got to get me some of those silver hulk gloves
    randymeeks81
    I left their myspace page after listening to a few seconds of each song (they were so bad i couldn't stand more than a few seconds). techno is crap anyway.
    ArtSchool
    3dd_bggst_fan
    i beg to differ. i luv ff5. I think they are a great band with a strong message. i like them because they are talented and because they are christian and am not ashamed to say it. im glad they are getting hard earned publisity. lay off them.
    Sublime Stylee
    brentondig wrote:Crunk, to me, besides being about stoned and drunk, could mean Christian Funk, which would be interesting.
    Hahaha just take "Sir Psycho Sexy" by rhcp and change all the words to christian lyrics
    my_onlyXweapon
    honestly who cares if they are christian as long as the musics good? shouldnt listen to music you think is crap only caise they are christian random but honestly come on now
    zachmcpeak1012
    ArtSchool wrote: Never heard of them before this was on the front page. It appears to me to be the culmination of the scenexcore culture that I grew out of when I was twelve. These guys are horrendous. Every song is so similar. These guys are all image, and it's astounding how much crap tooth and nail can keep cranking out if left unchecked.
    Logan_B
    These guys give Christians a BAD name. They are a complete joke and need to lose the EMo Goth look
    R8:31b
    if u dont like them... why are u here??? go ahead comment, not like any one who likes em is gonna listen any ways.
    hi_it's_me!
    You guys, Christians are sinners just like everyone else and they make mistakes. They try to be like Christ who hung out with the prostitutes and tax collectors and loved them. They should love everyone but no one is perfect. That includes Christians and ff5. The Family is just trying to rock for Christ and if you dont like they way they do it, or if you dont like thier message then fine, but you dont have to bash them. They are trying thier best and personally, I love them!
    thesecondman
    For all of you who say that their music sounds the same... I'm in awe. If there is one thing that Family Force 5 is guilty of, it definitely isn't making everything sound the same. A very versatile band. Get off your "Tool is god" high horse and have a little fun. That's what they're here for.
    wraith313
    I thought it was good. Im christian, but usually cant stand bands that are labelled (or label themselves) as christian (mostly because if I wanted to hear a bunch of prayer music, id go to church). I like this band though. I saw them live at warped tour and they had a bunch of power gloves and robot suits, it was awesome.
    duncang
    Checked. I don't have any idea why you people are arguing about religion. Any more of it and you get yourself a warning.
    Randompzycho
    seriously people how can you actually enjoy this they call themselves the family force five
    Karmekarten
    heard some of their songs from their older album.. Cool.. not my style.. but its cool cuz theyr christians and doing theyr own style.. not like anything else iv ever heard. props.
    serjiscoolz
    Raijouta wrote: Is that Rihanna in the picture on the front page?
    Youre just jealous cuz he's hot.
    ValenceElectron
    brentondig
    ValenceElectron wrote: serjiscoolz wrote: Raijouta wrote: Is that Rihanna in the picture on the front page? Youre just jealous cuz he's hot. If by 'hot' you mean 'looks like a woman', then maybe you're onto something. They're an okay band, there's better party rock out there. Most people liked their heavier stuff, and if so then i'd suggest listening to Blessed By A Broken Heart instead.
    Want Party music? Just put on AC/DC's Bon Scott-era stuff. Actually, all AC/DC is good 'party music', especially more than half the songs on "Back in Black".
    hnfan4eva
    so whats ur bands name?
    thesecondman
    This is a suggestion for those of you who liked "Business Up Front" better... cuz when I first got the new FF5 cd I was finding it really hard to get into it like BUFPIB... check them out live. It'll give you a whole new respect for the new cd. They do all that stuff live too... and they really rock it. You might be surprised.
    hi_mynameis.
    chea_man wrote: my band opened for them once. it was alot of fun. it was the first time we had a big green room with lots of stuff for it. Bottles of water, pop, red bull, lots of candy bars and random junk. they were really cool guys. although they were real sloppy when they played, the kids liked it though. i hope to open for them again soon. whats ur bands name cuz if ur good ill listen to u.
    Fatally Jon
    wiggy1988 wrote: The guy is wearing makeup...automatic fail.
    That's the truth with some cheese on it.
    brentondig
    According to Wiki, "Crunk is a genre of hip hop music." Therefore, Crunk Rock, we can assume, is a genre of hip hop music incorporating rock sounds. Actually, all these people talking about Christians, I assume FF5 is a Cristian Rock band. Crunk, to me, besides being about stoned and drunk, could mean Christian Funk, which would be interesting. Keep up the Christian Funk Rock!
    bored1584
    these guys are awesome i saw them at alive with people like hawk nelson skillet thosand foot krutch red and toby mac, it was insane the lead singer had neon green pants and these huge silver hulk gloves lol
    R8:31b
    i already have this album and its pretty fricken sweet, i got it 2 days before it came out too, listened to it about 5 times already.
    jakewynnrocks
    i liked the direction they went with the diamond edition better, with the heavierness and screaming, almost a darker feel.....
    chea_man
    hi_it's_me!
    I love FF5!!!!!I Love them sooooo much!!!!!I saw them live and they signed a dollar bill 4 me! They are so kewl!!!!!
    BeRaD
    I love these guys..... they're so awsome.... I hate all the crap people give them though.... I remeber at one of their first live shows they acutally threw their guitar across the stage and caught them with no hands..... the neck strap just flung around them..... it was wicked sick....