Demanufacture review by Fear Factory

• Released: Jun 20, 1995
Fear Factory: Demanufacture

Initially, upon hearing the album I thought it'd be one that I'd skip through until I found one I liked, however as soon as the bass hammered in on the title track I knew it'd be great. It's yet again an example of how Fear Factory manage to sound like a single instrument throughout their songs. Apparently, this is a concept album but sadly I didn't really get that. The bonus CD, Remanufacture, was an absolute delight to listen to, completely incongruous with Fear Factory's sound, as it was more of a gabber album than a metal remix album. Still brilliant though. You are always aware of the noises of industry in the album, and although it's pretty much the same three or four sounds within each song it still feels different. The ringy sound of the guitar is fantastic and we're reminded how great Dino Cazares is, as it complements Raymond Herrera's fantastic drumming.

Very anti-establishment, angsty lyrics, you can't help but to cringe at lines like "I got no more god-damned regrets, I got no more god-damned respect" but still very good lyrics in general. Burton's almost operatic clean vocals sound good in every context on the album, however the harsh vocals on tracks like Your Mistake are a bit substandard compared with other fear factory albums. Burton still has a fantastic voice throughout the album though.

Probably my favourite album of all time, I'm very happy with it. Standout tracks from the album are Self Bias Resistor, Replica, and Zero Signal. If you get the Remanufacture CD, best tracks on this are 21st Century Jesus, Genetic Blueprint and Machines Of Hate. I can't say anything on this album actually irks me and I could happily listen to it over, and over, and over, and over again. I reckon if I had downloaded this album bbeforehand, I still would have bought it as Fear Factory deserve money for this masterpiece.

tom183
    Easily Fear Factory's best album imo. Reading this review has inspired to play this CD for the first time in many years. Ahhh, memories. Id forgotten how good Ray Herrera is!!! The chorus of H-K. Damn!
    Soulcide
    chiba666 wrote: This album was recorded using 6 string guitars. 7 Strings were uused on Obsolete.
    no it was recorded with 7 string. Obsolete was the first time Dino tuned down to A. on the albums before it he was tuned to B straight, standard tuning for a 7 string
    Candlewolf
    Correct. My buddy and me could never work out the Self Bias Resistor riff until I got a 7. Try playing along to Replica on a 6.
    jean_genie
    I gotta' tell ya', I can't stand listening to Fear Factory for more than a few tracks after seeing them live. They were pretty bad when I saw them last year (or the year before? It's late, and I can't get my shows straight right now), so I DL'ed some concert videos, just to see if I caught them on a bad night. Nope, they just stink live. Burton C. Bell, especially, relies far too much on digital effects to make his voice sound good live, and that knowledge just kills the album for me. Same goes with Nightwish, at least the less operatic tunes. Goldfish mentioned Porcupine Tree - now THERE is a heavy, synchopated band that sounds great live. I guess I just can't get behind bands that can't actually play their own songs.
    Soulcide
    The album was actually recorded with 7 string guitars. Obsolete was the first album that Dino detuned to A. All the albums before were recorded in B straight, standard for a 7 string guitar
    HardAttack
    GuitarHero0715 wrote: Styles: Alternative Metal, Industrial Metal, Heavy Metal, Death Metal/Black Metal Having more metal styles IS MORE METAL
    That it is. FearFactory is, infact, a band that transcends genre.
    GuitarHero0715
    Having more metal styles IS MORE METAL
    sick steve
    A great album that had a completely new and fresh sound at the time. Superb production and way ahead of its time.
    GoldSoundzUKNZ
    i should probably get this. i bought remanufacture (not quite my cup of tea), but not this yet! hmm...
    In-f3st
    Fear Factory was one of my favorite bands and this album is a milestone of metal music, too bad they turned into a funny and shallow band with no innovation... They were the innovator but now they are the imitator -_-"
    AngryGoldfish
    The first time I heard Fear Factory was one of the first, and only times I was wowed by that digital sounding double foot, tight low riffing, intense, grungey growling, and aggresive lyrics. Meshuggah, Gojira, Strapping Young Lad, New Order, Porcupine Tree, Slipknot, Tool and Mudvayne were a few other bands that gave that similar feeling. That feeling that you've just found something extra special in the world of double bass.
    TheAmenCorner89
    Anyone who hasn't heard this band, just needs to the hear the title track of this album - it will blow you away
    Slaytan666
    I..Am the thorn...In your eye...Am the thorn...In your eye... Hahaha Awesome.
    mj2007
    my brother in law got me into this when i was about 13 i used to love this album, might even consider picking it up again
    lethaldosage45
    Yeah man, they blow. Gigantour was so bad with them, even the DVD makers couldnt help his voice. When they did the Dimebag tribute he totally ruined it! faaack...